Fuel tank reccomendation needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

castine917

Reaction score
Where are you getting your new tanks? Brand? OEM from the salvage yard? I checked Rockauto, and shipping is almost as much as the tank itself.

I've got a long box with a 34 gallon tank, if I find one cheap, will the small 24 gallon tank bolt in place with no modifications along with the filler neck?

Double-check the part # to be sure but it should be 15017934 and you can get an aftermarket copy off Amazon for about $145 and free shipping if you have Prime. It's from "1A Auto" which I have no experience with but claimed lifetime warranty right there in the ad.

Out of curiosity I checked Rockauto and tried Fedex Ground for the shipping option on the tank and it was only $26 that way. Maybe you have a default shipping option set that is more expensive?

Richard

The small tank will most likely not fit properly. Go to advance auto parts and get the tank from them. That is where I got the one for my 1997 chevy suburban k1500 and they are reasonably priced and you can get the straps

I'm in michigan and rockauto shows @$135 after shipping. Advance auto by me shows @$145 before discount but currently out of stock, yet has free shipping to home also.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'm in michigan and rockauto shows @$135 after shipping. Advance auto by me shows @$145 before discount but currently out of stock, yet has free shipping to home also.

I get almost $80 whether I use my zip or a GR zip, for ground shipping.

Advance is probably what I'll do.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I actually have an extra 34 gallon tank that is just collecting dust....... would be willing to part with it on the cheap.... PM me if you wish to discuss.

Thanks, but I'm sure shipping would eat up any savings.... Looks like you're in MN.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Too bad you're so far away, I have one off of a 99 I'd give to anyone who wants it. Pristine CO tank. Last time I went and bought one though I just grabbed one from the parts store and rattle canned it. I mean the stocker lasted this long, can't imagine and aftermarket one failing before the rest of the truck disintegrates. The pull and pay here pops a hole in every tank they get to drain it. *******.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting. I would have thought they would sell fairly well. I wonder if they're considered an "emissions part", that they can't sell.

No, they're just required to drain all fluids prior to placing vehicles on their lot. Because just think of all the sloppy hacks that would chop **** out of cars and make assinine messes. I'm sure it's to appease the EPA.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
No, they're just required to drain all fluids prior to placing vehicles on their lot. Because just think of all the sloppy hacks that would chop **** out of cars and make assinine messes. I'm sure it's to appease the EPA.

Well, yes there's that. I figured they'd pull it and set it aside for sale, and then charge more since it's pulled already. My local yard either has the good stock held back, they don't get any good stock, or they crush it....most trucks are TBI, the Vortecs look blown, and never any 8-lug trucks. I can't figure them out... even with scrap down, they don't seem to keep much stock in the yard.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Oh, well the regular yards don't pop holes like that. Just the one you're allowed to pull your own bits. Vortecs are common here, but an 8 lug is about rare as hens' teeth.