Fuel pump wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pcm has complete control over gauge I dealt with all that with my ls swap

Id bet a segment swap in tune for a single tank would fix it. But id have to look at wiring diagrams and compare the 2 systems

mitten400

Reaction score
Pcm has complete control over gauge I dealt with all that with my ls swap

Id bet a segment swap in tune for a single tank would fix it. But id have to look at wiring diagrams and compare the 2 systems
Sorry, that is beyond my knowledge. Any further help would be appreciated though. Is it possible that I could bypass the pcm?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
The wiring is very similar to the PCM between the two: the balance module takes care of differentiating the two tanks and sends a single output to the PCM representing overall fuel level. Compared to later trucks with the LS PCMs that actually had two separate senders and inputs on the PCM for each.

Bypassing the PCM in your case would not work at all due to the difference in sender resistance. The gauge will only work with 0-90 senders, or PCM PWM. Your only option there would be to swap to the 97-older sender, but that also deletes the fuel tank pressure sensor that the 98+ uses.

mitten400

Reaction score
The wiring is very similar to the PCM between the two: the balance module takes care of differentiating the two tanks and sends a single output to the PCM representing overall fuel level. Compared to later trucks with the LS PCMs that actually had two separate senders and inputs on the PCM for each.

Bypassing the PCM in your case would not work at all due to the difference in sender resistance. The gauge will only work with 0-90 senders, or PCM PWM. Your only option there would be to swap to the 97-older sender, but that also deletes the fuel tank pressure sensor that the 98+ uses.
That was my next question. I was thinking if I bypassed the pcm I would change to a 0-90 unit. Is the fuel tank pressure sensor the other 3 prong receiver on top of the pump?

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks never looked that hard into may change unit on mine. I have full to half. But half to empty is still ***** haha

mitten400

Reaction score
Okay, I picked up a 1996 sending unit (brand new, 0-90ohms). I tested both sending units and checked for ohms at the pin for the cluster bracket. On both sending units, no matter what float position, it always read low 40's. So I know i my problem is before the gauge now. I'm at a loss. It's like the pcm thinks its pegged at empty and its using the 40-250 scale. Yesterday I was able to get 200 ohms at the pin. Is this a sign of an open ground?

Reaction score
98+ fuel gauge gets its reading from pcm.

So sending unit to pcm to cluster

And its a PWM signal
Hi have to chime in on this since I'm having a similar issue.. i too have a 98 k3500 my fuel gauge is pegged full. I've replaced cluster it may be a 97 and replaced sender and still same. Now about what u wrote about the 98 getting reading from pcm I have a 97 pcm and wire harness in my 98. The original was cut up into pieces.. do u think that has anything to do with my pegged gauge?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Hi have to chime in on this since I'm having a similar issue.. i too have a 98 k3500 my fuel gauge is pegged full. I've replaced cluster it may be a 97 and replaced sender and still same. Now about what u wrote about the 98 getting reading from pcm I have a 97 pcm and wire harness in my 98. The original was cut up into pieces.. do u think that has anything to do with my pegged gauge?

The resistance changed at some point, but I dont recall the year. I tested my sender before I installed it in the new fuel tank.