fuel pump or relay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so here's the deal, my 88 k1500 350 all new, tbi. Ran fine, pulled the trans a t-case to check out the flexplate, ran it without the trans on it a couple of times, and the battery is pretty crappy, had to swap it with my old man so he'd have a good one for his truck. Well I charge it up yesterday, crank it over, runs for a few seconds and shuts off, only cranks won't refire, dump some gas in it it'll start, run the gas out and die, then only crank. I hear NO fuel pump noise.

I check underhood under my relay cover and the FP fuse has NO power at all, key on or off. The junction block has direct power from the battery.

Sounds like the relay to me? what do you guys think?

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Try bypassing the relay and see if it kick on.

go under the plastic cover
Left hand side will have a fuse
Pull out fuse
make a lead from the battery and touch one of those fuse terminals
pump should kick on.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thanks the the info buddy will do. I wasn't sure how to bypass it or test it, my old man said to do the same(bypass) but I had no clue how, sounds good to me tho, will do tonight.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
treid it, it works, well the FP turns on and it pumps gas. I had the filter unhooked and it shot gas about 3 feet in a split second.

I tried leaving the jumper on and start the truck, still nothing, also dumped some gas in and left the jumper hooked up and it ran while the gas I dumped in was there, then died. Same as without the jumper wire.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well I got fuel pump and relay working I guess, when I hit th ekey I can hear the pump come on and work, and when I took off th eline to the back of the tbi I turned it on and got fuel coming out. When it was off at the filter it pumped out big time lol. So seems like I aint getting fuel from the back of the tbi to down in the intake.

Anyway I can check injectors for fire? I only have a test light, might be able to borrow a ohm meter or voltage tester.