Fuel injector cleaner rec’s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
guys- just noticed the slightest rough idle on my 96 Tahoe- want to throw some injector cleaner in before looking at other stuff- what do you use? Thanks

mistaake

Reaction score
If you want something that will actually clean the fuel system, injectors, and combustion chambers anything with PEA should do it. Gumout Regane (will have a PEA logo on the front), Chevron Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner (black bottle, not the inferior gray bottle Fuel Injector Cleaner), Redline SI-1, Royal Purple's Max Atomizer or Max-Clean, AMSOIL P.I, all of those are proven effective.

THAT SAID it's unlikely any of that will actually help and you have something else going on, so those are all probably a waste of money. I'm just giving you that info so if you're dead set on using one of those things you can use a good one.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
X2, anything with PEA is going to be the most effective. I agree though, gasoline is a pretty powerful solvent on its own. If you have issues that running the truck isn't clearing up then I doubt injector cleaner is going to help much.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chevron Techron (black bottle as said in previous post) at every oil change.

Top Tier fuel at every fill. (has extra detergent additive)

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys- it has just the slightest rough idle- thought this may be a good start

mistaake

Reaction score
Thanks guys- it has just the slightest rough idle- thought this may be a good start
Meh, I think the best solution would be hook up a scanner with live data and check the misfire counters. See if it's a single cylinder misfire or multiple/random.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Agreed that doing some troubleshooting with actual data is probably more useful as the initial approach than dumping any chemical into it, but if you're dead set on using a cleaner then I suggest BG 44K. It's a shop-quality product, not some autozone special with a bunch of marketing hype behind it. It can be a little tough to find depending on where you are, but it is available through certain shops, and also Amazon, etc. They also sell it in larger quantities for shops to use with a special rig that plumbs it right into the fuel system for a serious cleaning.

Richard

Geo's66

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok- I hear yah.. I’ll get it to a shop and get it scanned- good time to do this and check other things as well. Thanks guys!

mistaake

Reaction score
Ok- I hear yah.. I’ll get it to a shop and get it scanned- good time to do this and check other things as well. Thanks guys!
You're welcome! If I was you I'd go on Amazon and get yourself an OBDLink LX. It will work with an Android phone or tablet. Plenty of great apps to get live data... OBDLink's included app is good, there's also DashCommand which I really like as well. Torque Pro is good but the interface is ugly and annoying. An OBDLink LX will cost you less than a diagnostic at a shop ;)