Fuel gauge not accurate...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
I have a Airtex napa fuel pump and sending unit in the truck now. the 98.. and i can put 50 bucks in it and be at 3/4 of a tank. then turn the ignition off and be at 1/2 then turn off then back on and be at 1/4 then fluctuate abd stay at 1/2. Drive 50 miles then its down below the 1/4 and will stay there.. Will run on E for a while then back up... WTF is this. It ****** me off because i've ran out of gas 3 times now due to this gauge. Can anyone help?

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
well my trucks fuel gauge has been screwy ever since i replaced my fuel pump. mine will usually peg itself out to beyond the full mark and stay there till im almost out of gas. it finally works again when i got something like 3gallons left in the tank or so.
im pretty sure its just my sending unit reading bad. maybe it got some dirt on it from sitting outside of the tank for a few days while i got new pump, maybe its just gone bad.
but the way i keep my from running out of gas is just use the trip meter! you should know how far your truck can go before needing fuel again. my truck can go ruffly 330miles so i try to fill up around 280miles or so before filling back up.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Im actually dealing with this same problem. The GM fuel gauge sending units have been known for this. I ordered an upgrade part that restores the gauge function and is a lot more accurate then stock that i will be installing soon. I can look up the link for the site i ordered it from if interested.

Darkrider

Dexter
Reaction score
Are you talking about the inline resistor for the 96-97 trucks

No the part im refering to is a complete replacement fuel gauge sending unit that uses a float similar to the ones used on farm equipment and snow mobiles which is a float that moves up and down a central pole instead of the floating arm set up that GM uses.

Here is the link for it

http://www.pmdcable.com/index.php?m...oducts_id=19&zenid=ucn12cq4gdldpq550q7snipjr6

The vendor is a great guy to deal with. I have purchased other items from him in the past and he even gave me a free upgrade part to apologize for a delay in receiving a part.