Fuel gauge always goes to full when running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrumpyOldTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've replaced pretty much everything on my fuel system

fuel pump
fuel filter
fuel regulator
fuel injector spider
fuel relay
sending unit

whenever I start my truck the gauge goes straight to full and stays there as long as my truck is running, however when I turn my truck off the gauge goes back to where it's supposed to be. Any ideas? Is my gauge bad?

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
It sounds like there is an open in the circuit. Most likely between the gauge and sending unit.

I'd try and find the connector near the tank and check the ground and the power supply. I believe it should have either 5 or 12 volts. They will be the smaller of the 4 wires to the connector. Not 100% sure what colors though. But, I believe the power wire is purple and the ground is black with a white stripe.

Hope this helps

GrumpyOldTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok thanks, i'm gonna check the grounds and then the voltage. I didn't have this problem before I replaced my fuel pump. hmm

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Then I'd check the connection for sure. Or could the float arm be stuck in the up position?