Frying ICM's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rideitall

Reaction score
Last year I replaced my ignition coil and ICM on my '95 1500 (V6 TBI) 'cause I don't drive it too often and they were looking ragged. Now I'm frying ICM's. I am literally getting about 10-15 miles before they go out. Been through 3 already. Anyone have any experience with this. It's been suggested that I may have a poor engine ground and this is causing it to spike and fry but not sure. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
Did you ever figure out what this issue was? My 96' is doing the same. Been through 4 so far. I know the Vortec's are different than the TBI's though.

So far I've replaced the all the engine ground straps, big 3 upgrade, replaced pick-up coil under the rotor, and had the alternator checked (thought maybe the voltage regulator had gone bad).

Yet I still can't drive further than 4 miles before one will burn out.

Last edited:

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What brand of ICM's are you guys buying? And are you having them tested before you leave the store with it? I've tested them right out of the box that read "bad" on an in store tester.

rideitall

Reaction score
Very similar setup (Accel coil, Super Stock wires, etc...) and experience save the TBI. A very good friend is a service manager at a dealer and got to talk to one of his mechanics. He's of the opinion it's the coil frying them, swapped stock ignition components for all Accel, including ICM, last summer and that's when they started frying. I still have the stock coil but haven't swapped 'em yet. Truck is my 2nd vehicle so not a huge priority.

Except for the first one to fry, that one was Accel, buying from Advanced Auto and never tested before installing. So far they've all worked, just temporarily.

Good luck and thanks for the replies!!!

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very similar setup (Accel coil, Super Stock wires, etc...) and experience save the TBI. A very good friend is a service manager at a dealer and got to talk to one of his mechanics. He's of the opinion it's the coil frying them, swapped stock ignition components for all Accel, including ICM, last summer and that's when they started frying. I still have the stock coil but haven't swapped 'em yet. Truck is my 2nd vehicle so not a huge priority.

Except for the first one to fry, that one was Accel, buying from Advanced Auto and never tested before installing. So far they've all worked, just temporarily.

Good luck and thanks for the replies!!!

It's entirely possible, and very simple to test. I'd give it a shot. Oh, and get a BWD Select or ACDelco if you aren't already getting them. There is a quality difference, though your service life is short no matter what brand they are.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 4

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
I've been buying the BWD. They come with a lifetime warranty thank god or I'd be broke by now. Haven't had them tested before I leave the store though.

I've had my aftermarket ignition components on for almost a year before the ICM's started frying. Funny thing is that when I did replace everything, I replaced the ICM with an el' cheapo MasterBrand one from O'Reilly's because that's all they had in stock. And that one went almost a year with no problems!

Last edited: