Front end noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randomguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
88 K2500 6 lug

When hitting minor bumps or imperfections at low speed I hear a popping noise from the driver side wheel area. I don’t feel it in the steering or suspension. Almost sounds like rocks in a coffee can. Ball joints and TRE don’t have any play. The only play I can find is in sleeve on the upper shock bolt can move back and forth in the mount. At this point it’s more of a nuisance. Any ideas?

Oh and I do not have a front sway bar. No crank though it was cranked at one time.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Well, your shock shouldn't be moving. Maybe take off the shock, look it over, and maybe replace it....well both sides.

I have a pop, or light clunk in my front end, and it's an upper control arm bushing. I found it when I was doing ball joints and brakes. There is no slop, so I decided not to replace it right now. It's makes noise when the suspension cycles. If I push up on the control arm, and then pull down it pops. You can actually see part of the bushing rotate suddenly. While driving I hear it when doing things like pulling into my driveway.

randomguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone have a pic of what the front upper shock looks like mounted?

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I had a similar pop on my '89 K1500. Shock was indeed loose like you mentioned and it only happened at lower speeds going over minor bumps. I tightened that shock (it was new) until the ears of the mount snugged up on it. No more noise.

Reaction score
I had noises like that and the rubber grommets were rotted out on both shocks. You could only hear it at low speed. Metal to metal on the bottom shock supports.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Ditto on my truck earlier this year. That sleeve on the upper shock bolt made an unusual amount of noise...Surely thought something was broken. Snugged the upper shock bolt up another half turn or so...Silence!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
What kinds of shocks do you guys have that are getting loose? Maybe I should check mine. Currently I have low-end KYBs.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
My problem was like randomguy and Derek's. The situation I explained didn't have to do with any particular shock brand. It's just the inner steel sleeve through the upper bushing that clanked against the mounting bolt during suspension cycles. Mine probably crunched some surface rust and shock paint off, making it appear "loose." There should be a lock nut on there so it can't back off.

Mine had less than a 1/16" of play side-to-side (where there should be none). Had just barely enough to where I was able to bounce the suspension, hear and visibly see it. Cinched it up real quick, problem fixed. :waytogo:

Sorry, it's hard to explain in few words, but if you witnessed it, you'd know exactly what I was talking about!