Front Diff leaking oil..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Leaking between the drivers side CV joint and the front differential.
Assuming I needed a replacement "axle seal" I bought one for each side, just going to worry about the drivers side tonight...

Any tips? Tools needed? Methods to your madness? Lemme know, thanks

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Well I found this..
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...-1994-YUKON&highlight=front+differential+seal

1994 GM 4WD

Driver side axle stub can be removed by tapping the flange with a hammer.
Replaced seal tapped back in place with hammer.

Passenger side axle removal. I unbolted the axle housing from the the differential. Replaced seal and bearing at on the outside end of axle tube.

Only trouble was with the passenger side on reassembly. After some pretty hard wacks with the hammer the gear and snap ring would not go back on the axle shaft. I had to sand the end of the shaft so the keeper would snap over the tapered edge. I managed by myself but it was pretty difficult to hold the 4wd acuator spring in place and stab the axle housing assembly back in place. Might need an extra arm for this.

tscherbi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats pretty much how you do it. Its not that hard, a pointer that I have found to help out the axle is by using a pry bar to pry on one side of the axle and tap the other side with a mallet or hammer. When I say axle I am refering to the round axle that is in the housing of the differential. Dont be scared guys its pretty easy.

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It really is that easy i just did it. Just get a jack under the CV shaft where it connects to the front diff and lower it to get at the seal. You can also just take the CV shaft out

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Yeah I had a better look at it, seems like a hammer/pry bar should do the trick. I'll probably take the cv axle out.. I wonder if I could just unbolt the flange end ofthe cv and get it tied out of the way..

What size is the axle nut again?