front bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Childs

Reaction score
Do i need to worry about my airbag deploying when removing my front bumper? Can i also expect the airbag to function if driving with no front bumper? Getting ready for paint job. 1995 k1500 5.7, thanks.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i replaced the 97's front bumper a few years back, no issues with the airbag stuff.
Air bag stuff, is usually marked with yellow wrapped wires and tags.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also:
The internet video showing a little old lady hitting a bumper with her purse and setting off an airbag was a hoax. There are protocols built into the airbag system.

1) Vehicle must be moving for the airbag system to arm.
2) The sensors don't detect banging, crunching, or anything like that. They're simple decelerometers.

If the sensor is decelerated more than a preset amount, it makes an electrical connection that tells the airbag controller "We're slowing down faster than the brakes can achieve." The original systems had a centrally mounted arming sensor and three sensors on the front bumper. If the vehicle was in motion and the central sensor and any one of the three bumper sensors saw a too-rapid deceleration, it would fire the airbag. The systems proved so reliable that the second gen systems only had one sensor on the front bumper. That was about the time I left being a dealership technician, but I've heard the newer systems only have the central sensor.

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Friend was offloading. Uh driving down a dirt road in his explorer sport track, hit a 8" rock with the control arm. Totalled the truck. Arm bent the frame and the dual airbags destroyed the inside pretty severely.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Friend was offloading. Uh driving down a dirt road in his explorer sport track, hit a 8" rock with the control arm. Totalled the truck. Arm bent the frame and the dual airbags destroyed the inside pretty severely.
Hope he and whoever were with him were okay. Sounds like another good reason not to get a Ford.....