friggin old trucks.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
picked up my new deck today. went to install it and remove the old JVC shaft style tape deck that was in it. (OBS 89 ext. cab work truck)

after looking for an hour or two for the factory stereo wiring, i came to the conclusion that GM never installed it in this thing. that was after removing the cluster, stereo adapter, heater controls, under dash parts, etc. and i broke some of the stuff, pr it was already broken to begin with. depends on the piece. so i get the fun of gluing it all back together regardless.

got the new deck wired up after undoing all the hack jobs with the JVC.
hooked up my new to me pull-a-part score JL dash speakers. both are blown. so...

say the hell with it, ill put it all back together. go to slide the Deck home, and it wont fit all the way in the dash. stocks out about a half inch, and for the life of me i cant figure out what its caught on. also, the dash grilles wont clear the JL's. so....

1. any common things that block the stereo in these trucks?
2. how were the factory rear speaker wires routed?
3. how in the hell do i get the rear panels off to install the rear speakers?
4. can i fit the 6.5 set back there?

thanks for letting me rant a bit. its 22 degrees outside, and I've been out there half the afternoon. damn truck is too big to fit in my heated garage.

michael

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well, ill tell you what ive learned. on my truck, there was a wiring bundle with a metal clip that attached to the heater box behind the stereo area. with the metal clip removed, and the bundle crammed down in the dash, it slid in another 3/8 of an inch. it is now hitting on a 3/8 metal lip for a bracket or something that mounts to the heater box. my wto options are to either pull my center DIN adapter out, slide the stereo the rest of the way into the collar, and force the adapter. i see this as a nad idea, as then the clips will either pull out, the old and brittle adapter will crack, or it will not sit flusg with the rest of the dash as it does now. the other option, and the one i will undertake when the truck is not covered in ice and snow, is to pull the whole works back out, take my dremel with a small cutoff wheel, and cut the lip off the vracket. shoot a little krylon down in there to keep it from rusting, check the heater assembly for air leaks, seal as necessary. reinstall the stereo assembly.

hope that helps.