Frankenpump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The tank and sending unit are new, ‘87 though. I tried tying all the black wires together, then separately. No luck
The '87 TBI spec is 9~13 psi. Your '98 Vortec 5.7 needs minimum high 50's.. spec is like 58~62 psi. You can hang a Vortec-spec pump in that old style TBI sender if you get one from the auto parts store for a '96 pickup with 5.7; it will be the separate style pump, before they went to the plastic trash can all-in-one assembly.

Richard

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Your factory pump had a connection to the PCM. Then the PCM drive the cluster. I think you will have trouble without a stock style fuel pump module.

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The gauge works and the engine turns. It just turns and turns and turns. It’s gotta be the psi. I’ll try a higher psi pump in the sending unit.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
At start and idle, your engine doesn't need more fuel than your pump can provide. Yes you need to upgrade it, but no, it isn't keeping it from starting unless it is dead.
Edit: crap I missed the part about this being a turbine pump on a Vortec. Yeah the poppet nozzles won't even try to open. Carry on.

DTrain

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Snuck the new fuel pump in after work today. Tried and tried and tried, still wouldn’t start. To the point I about killed the battery and had to hook up for a jump, still nothing. Then I remembered a pretty important step…hook the electrical back up in the tank…BOOM! Started right up! Thanks for the input, the pump fit perfectly in the old style sending unit and didn’t even hesitate starting once I finished the install process…

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then I remembered a pretty important step…hook the electrical back up in the tank…BOOM! Started right up! Thanks for the input, the pump fit perfectly in the old style sending unit and didn’t even hesitate starting once I finished the install process…
Good to hear! :waytogo: