Frame and under bed coating/ painting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had good luck with POR15. Although it's just like painting/bodywork. If you base isn't good, the finish will be crap.

Big Jon 95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just recently did my whole frame and underside of the bed as well. I used all Eastwood products and it turned out great.
I wire wheeled the whole thing, did my repairs, and then coated the whole thing with the Eastwood rust converter. used two spray bottles to do the whole truck, but just the frame and underside of the bed could probably be done with one bottle if you stick to just the rust.
I then coated everything with Eastwood rust encapsulator. I used 2 quarts for the whole truck.
After that I sprayed two good coats of the Eastwood Chassis Black Extreme. It lays down nice and easy and the semi-gloss looks really nice when its done. I used 3 quarts of the chassis black for everything on the truck - frame, under truck/bed, wheel wells, engine compartment, under hood.
It turned out great and holds up real well. I ended up having to do some hammering in one of the areas and it took it well with very little damage.

I have the advantage of having an Eastwood store locally. I am just finishing up restoring my truck from the ground up and have used primarily Eastwood products and have been very happy with them.

Kyle
I was looking into Eastwood products but the closest retail location is 6 hours away and I don't want to not order enough and not finish over break or order way to much and spend more than necessary.

Take care when spraying rubberized undercoating products, I used to think the world of them as they appear to go on thick and seem to be quite durable, but unless they are applied in extremely light coats, the stuff hold A LOT of moisture. To the point where Ive seen water blisters under the stuff on a buddies frame. It's not that the stuff is bad, just make sure it's a very dry day, and let the coating breathe between applications.

On my frame I wire wheeled everything as clean as I could get it, almost bare metal. I used a product called Ospho to neutralize anything left (applied with brush or spray bottle), a couple coats of Rust-Oleum primer, then brushed on some semi gloss Rust-Oleum bed liner. The stuff looks really nice, is incredibly durable, and I have yet to see any lifting or orange spotting underneath, even a couple years later. Eastwood Internal Frame Coating was used to convert and rust inside the front of the boxed frame sections, and protect it from further corrosion. Good luck! It's a messy process but well worth it. You wouldn't believe how much better a truck looks when the underneath is all orange and brown. Hope this gave you a few ideas. :)
How long has it been since you applied the bed liner and would it be possible to post some pictures of it?

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I'm going to buck the trend here.

In my experience, long term, Ospho, POR 15, Chassis Saver, none of it last's forever.

Once it's a crusty, rusty brown all over, the only thing that will truly work is to blast it to clean metal and paint it with good quality paint, like SPI.

If you are just looking to slow it down, keep it decent, then a wire wheels, some acetone, and some Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer, along with your top coat of choice, are just as effective as the high dollar things.

Also, to keep it nice, hose that sucker down with old drain oil twice a year.

Big Jon 95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are two pictures of the what I am dealing with, most of it is just light surface rust so it should be easy to remove, the truck was undercoated right before I bout it two years ago and has come off in a few spots.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
That looks really nice, I would wire wheel it, clean it, and rustoleum it. If you stay on it, it will stay nice forever.

Big Jon 95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would probably be the cheaper route to take. Priming then bed coating will be the route I go most likely. If I want to do 2 or 3 coats how long would be needed to dry properly?

DylanD

Reaction score
I have read several post and am still not sure the best route to take. I will have spring break at the end of March and plan to take the bed off to get rid of the surface rust on the frame. I was going to do the whole underside of my bed while I was at it and don't know if undercoating, bed lining or using an oil based paint would be the best route. I will need something durable since I drive a lot of gravel roads and the roads get salted fairly heavy in the winters. I know por15 is probably the best option but I don't want to spend that much. I thought about using Eastwood rubberized undercoat and wire wheeling everything first but I have herd a lot of mixed feelings about undercoating. I liked the idea of paint because it would be a smooth finish and not hold salt or mud but and not sure how it will hold up to gravel roads.
I'm open to all options but am on a fairly limited budget. Any input is much appreciated.

ive been wanting to do this my frame has some surface rust and i have been wanting to remove the bed and paint it.

let us know what you decide and post pics when you do it i plan to do this sometime this summer i expect it to take a few days

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
That would probably be the cheaper route to take. Priming then bed coating will be the route I go most likely. If I want to do 2 or 3 coats how long would be needed to dry properly?

Whatever primer you use should have directions for how long to allow it to cure before top coating.

If we're talking rattle can's, they also have directions. As an FYI, I've found rubber undercoating to be more durable in a rattle can than rubber truck bedliner, as far as that goes anyway.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Jrgunn5150 has the best solution of media/sand blasting the whole frame. That is about as permanent of a solution as you can get. Unfortunately for most of us disassembly of the entire vehicle isn't possible. No solution to the frame rust issue will last an eternity as he mentioned, but I've done a wealth of homework on the topic (rusty frames irritate me beyond belief lol) and I've found its sufficient to remove all the possible rust with wire wheels, sand paper etc. Then chemically convert anything left to an inert material know as iron phosphate, which is where products like Ospho come in. To finish it off, properly priming and finishing the surface to create a barrier between the frame and oxygen is key. This is the next best thing to Jrgunn5150's idea. It may need a light touch up in spots every few years, but it'll make your frame last a lifetime and keep it looking nice. Mine looks fantastic after 3 harsh salt and gravel filled Ohio winters. I'll post up pics soon. Whatever you do is better than nothing of course. :D

Big Jon 95

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm gonna give it a shot in a couple weeks. I plan to buy 2 gallons of bed liner and triple coat it and double coat the primer.
My friend said after I wore wheel it to see how rough the frames surface is for the primer to hold on to and then sand the primer with some 80 grit before rolling the bed liner on