Fog & Driving Light Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I'm looking for options on what I could get to have some fog lights and or driving lights.

I'd like some fogs as it's getting winter here (got the first snow today! wahoo!) and when the roads are wet it's nice to have some additional light on the roads but I obviously can't use high beams when there is oncoming traffic. When it's snowing heavy it's nice to have extra light down low and up close.

I've also thought it would be nice to have a set of driving light that are aimed high so when I'm on high beams if I have a nice open stretch of road I can kick something on that lights up further down the road than my high beams effectively reach, to extend my visibility distance.

I've seen lights behind the grill, lights on the top of the bumper or brush guard, lights in the bumper both diesel and custom bumper (or one of those sold by LMC), and lights in the airdam/valance. Are there any other options?

Right now I'm leaning towards the valance like the in the Denalis and the 454SS. I have never seen an valance like that out at my local yard. Probably because I've only seen one Denali and it was in a bad front end collision which rendered all that stuff useless.

Where could I get an valance like that? Shipping would probably be expensive. I wonder if it would be possible to modify my current one (or one from the junk yard) and make it look good. Would it be possible to find a light that would accomplish both of my goals listed above? (fog and long range driving?)

I'd rather not have to buy a new bumper because frankly I don't have the money to do that and then buy nice lights to put in it and I'm still not sure if I like the diesel bumper look (but it would probably grow on me)

Suggestions?

93SierraWT

Greater Made Chevy
Reaction score
I've got two driving lights behind my grill that I picked up from Canadian Tire. They came with the lights, brackets, all of the wiring, on off switch, mounting screws, everything for about $50. I just drilled six holes in my rad support, (four for mounting, and one for each light to run the wires through), and tapped them into my high beams. Took me about 30 minutes, including taking the grill off, measuring, drilling, and wiring. You can run the wires to your battery and the power switch inside the cab if you feel the need, but I didn't bother. I have the W/T grill, so I'm not sure how the output with be through your newer GMC style, but I noticed a considerable difference.

As far as the valance goes, I'm not sure who sells them. LMC might be a good bet. If done right, diesel bumpers are also a good look, but require a bit more work, and money. Your cheapest choice would probably be mounted on the bumber, or behind the grill. Another possibilty is a light bar on top of the cab, or a bull or brush guard with fog/driving lights on them.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I think your best bet might be what 93 suggested behind the grill. I personally wouldn't mount lights in my valence because of the ****** roads here in Arizona and they have a greater chance of getting ripped off if you go off the beaten track. Although I think they look the best mounted there because it gives it a stock look, I would mount them in the bumper, on top, or in the grill itself. Whenever I get the damage on my truck fixed, (body shop is replacing the bumper) I'm going to take the old bumper and cut holes in it for lights.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am currently in the same boat as you, I have a diesel bumper though on my truck so I am looking for lights to go in there.

I have found Pro comp makes some 4"x6" amber fogs, KC has some series 57 that are 5"x7" and have changeable lenses, Grote Perlux has some 5"x7" or 7"x9" lights that are amber or clear that have shields to aim the light at the road, they are $170+ though. and Walmart carries Blazer which are amber or can be bought in clear too.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not really sure how much room I've got behind the grill. I've got a tranny cooler on one side which might cut into my room too much idk. I'm not too worried about ripping the lights off of the valance as I've never broken a valance before. I do sometimes venture off the beaten track or have some fun climbing snowdrifts and stuff but I try to be very careful.

Maybe I'll get a diesel bumper down the road but that's not going to happen anytime soon. I suppose I could try a cheap set of driving lights behind the grill and then just put some HIDs in them. I really want it to look either stock or really clean. I don't want to butcher the look of the front of my truck any and IDK how visible the lights would be from a casual look.

eck95z71

Hightech Redneck
Reaction score
I am currently in the same boat as you, I have a diesel bumper though on my truck so I am looking for lights to go in there.

I have found Pro comp makes some 4"x6" amber fogs, KC has some series 57 that are 5"x7" and have changeable lenses, Grote Perlux has some 5"x7" or 7"x9" lights that are amber or clear that have shields to aim the light at the road, they are $170+ though. and Walmart carries Blazer which are amber or can be bought in clear too.

I have the 57 series KC's with the interchangeable lenses and to be honest, they're not that great...even with 110w bulbs. I went to Tractor Supply and picked up a set of 6 by 9 Hobbs lights meant for farm equipment and they're crazy. They easily shine for half a mile.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the 57 series KC's with the interchangeable lenses and to be honest, they're not that great...even with 110w bulbs. I went to Tractor Supply and picked up a set of 6 by 9 Hobbs lights meant for farm equipment and they're crazy. They easily shine for half a mile.

So don't waste my mony on the KC's? I was coming to that conclusion slowly from reviews and such.
Well I would love the ones from Grote, but they are about $170 for the pair.
I want amber so my choices are limited, I want to run them anytime and esp going down the hwy at night or back roads in fog, snow, rain

eck95z71

Hightech Redneck
Reaction score
Some KC's are better than others and you cant beat the warrenty but unless you get a good price on a pair, i'd go for something else. I've actually had very good luck with Blazer brand fogs..

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I will find other lghts then KC's and you are the second guy to say that Blazer is a good brand and do well, a guy on here has some on his while ECSS 2500

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I looked at LMC. They do have the fog light valance but they don't have one that has the fog light holes and the tow hook holes. I'm not willing to give up my tow (recovery) hooks so it looks like either way I'd have some sort of custom work. I'm thinking of trying to cut a hole in a valance from the junk yard so I don't screw up my factory one. I'd like to find a good pair of projectors so I could put HIDs in it and have good performance but this is about all I can find...

http://www.amazon.com/Hella-Optilux-1100-Projector-Lamp/dp/B000HVX34W

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=jgK7Tp-6I8zUiAKYuaiJBQ&ved=0CGEQ8wIwAA

The second ones are designed for a NBS but if I'm doing a custom cutout anyway it might be easier to make those work and then if they ever broke it would be really easy to find a replacement locally.

LMC does have some nice bumpers that I'd rather do but of course I can't afford to spend $300-$400 on a bumper right now.

http://www.lmctruck.com/features/cd/CDBMC.htm

I like the clean rectangle lights on these bumpers.

http://www.lmctruck.com/features/cd/CDBMA.htm

These are interesting in that you can get the billet insert. I'm not sure if I like the insert or not. I wonder if it's open through like a grill which would give the additional cooling that a diesel bumper is designed for or what. If it was open behind there you could hide some additional lights back there too if you really wanted to.

Oh well it's all probably wishful thinking until I decide to spend money on (a) new bumper(s).