Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BappleApple

Reaction score
Hey guys! Been a while since I've posted anything on my truck and I need some expert help and advice. I have a built 2nd gen LT1 in my C1500 (Originally pulled from a '92 Corvette) and after 4 transmissions in <6 months, It's became evident that the 700R4/4L60's just don't hold up between the power & weight of an old 1/2 ton truck without being bulletproofed to an extent using a race ready rebuild kit, So I've decided to just go ahead and do away with the crap 4 speed auto(s) entirely

With that being said; I had an old GM Saginaw M15 3-Speed manual transmission still bolted to a spare 327 SBC in the garage I uncovered & pulled out, My plans are to separate them and throw the Saginaw 3-Speed Manual into my truck.
Before I get it torn down, I have to ask you guys this -

Q1 - What do I do about the Flywheel swap?
I'm not so sure the 327's flywheel hub pattern is even the same as a Gen-2 LT1's, And if it does bolt up the next worry I have is that LT1's are externally balanced engines and I'm worried that the 327's flywheel will throw the engine off balance and give me a shake-down. If that happens, Is there anywhere that makes a flywheel for this swap?

Q2 - What should I do about a starter?
Can I use my LT1 starter, or the 327's starter?

Just wanna be able to go fast in my lead sled again, but this time in more than 50 mile increments... lol :(

Thanks in advance for any help you may have to share, Haven't seen or even heard of someone doing this swap, so the amount of available advice I can find on it is extremely obsolete and old.

Here's a pic of the Saginaw M15 & the 327 SBC.

You must be registered for see images attach

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You might wanna rethink using that 3-speed. The gear split is gonna suck, the shifter might be too far forward, it might be real close to being under the dash making it tough to shift. Plus I don’t think they are that strong. I know the 4-speeds aren’t. As for flywheel the 327 won’t work, but get one for the car that came with a stick n double check the balance. Starter could be off same car with stick. Or a mini lol

BappleApple

Reaction score
You might wanna rethink using that 3-speed. The gear split is gonna suck
You really think so? I was comparing the ratios and I kind of liked where this 3 speed puts me as opposed to the 4 speed auto;

Saginaw M26 3 Speed Manual (1967)
1st- 2.54:1
2nd- 1.50:1
3rd- 1.00:1

700R4 -
1st- 3.06:1 for first gear
2nd- 1.62:1 for second gear
3rd- 1:1
4th- 0.70:1

the shifter might be too far forward, it might be real close to being under the dash making it tough to shift.
Well it's a dual-linkage shift & I have a short throw ratchet shifter for it, Since it doesn't actually bolt into the top of the trans and is linkage dependent, I have alot of freedom with where I can put it as long as I can work the linkages out.

Plus I don’t think they are that strong. I know the 4-speeds aren’t.
You'd be right, Lol. They're no Muncie. These Saginaw's are not too tough in bone stock form (300hp rating), but from what I understand, they can be bulletproofed easier and cheaper then my other transmissions.

As for flywheel the 327 won’t work, but get one for the car that came with a stick n double check the balance.
Figured the hubs were different, So what you're saying is I'll have to get a manual trans flywheel from any 92-97 LT1 and it'll work?

I appreciate the quick reply my guy :)

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You really think so? I was comparing the ratios and I kind of liked where this 3 speed puts me as opposed to the 4 speed auto;

Saginaw M26 3 Speed Manual (1967)
1st- 2.54:1
2nd- 1.50:1
3rd- 1.00:1

700R4 -
1st- 3.06:1 for first gear
2nd- 1.62:1 for second gear
3rd- 1:1
4th- 0.70:1
The auto has a torque converter. You're going to be slow off the line. Also, one-piece rear main seal cranks have a different flywheel bolt pattern than the two-piece cranks.

BappleApple

Reaction score
The auto has a torque converter. You're going to be slow off the line. Also, one-piece rear main seal cranks have a different flywheel bolt pattern than the two-piece cranks.

Lol true but I figured my power factor would balance it out, It makes just over 500rwhp on 93 octane and just obliterated the tires through 1-3 gear with the 700R4/4L60's with 3.73's in the rear.

Also, one-piece rear main seal cranks have a different flywheel bolt pattern than the two-piece cranks.

Yeah that's what I've found on all the 10+ year old ancient threads regarding it, Haha.
Seems that the LT1/LT4's and ZZ4's were externally balanced and had different flywheel hubs from the old two-peices.
Any suggestion of what to do here?
I'm stumped & I'm worried I won't be able to find a flywheel that will work with this transmission & my LT1. :(

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The taller first gear without a torque converter will mean you either bog until you get up on cam, or blow the tires off.

If it were me, I'd keep the 327/Sag together and sell them to somebody looking for a restoration motor. Put the money towards a 4L80E or an NV4500 to replace your transmission.

BappleApple

Reaction score
If it were me, I'd keep the 327/Sag together and sell them to somebody looking for a restoration motor. Put the money towards a 4L80E or an NV4500 to replace your transmission.

I debated on a New Venture gear tranny but I wasn't too sure about how good it'll want to fit lol
Also debated on a TH350 Long Shaft or a TH400 Long Shaft, Either trans would be super awesome and good kits are readily available.
Just super hard to find them, Slim pickins where I'm from, Heh :pp:

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If ur making that power the tranny is gonna go poof in a spectacular fashion, prolly while taking ur feet out at the same time. If yah want to shift then get a TKO-600 or an NV4500. If yah don’t then a 4l80. The flywheel should be pretty easy, I think any small block with a 1 piece seal is technically externally balanced, so prolly one off a vortec motor would work.