Flush mount bed cover build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i asked the question on here awhile back abot flush mounted bed covers. i didnt feel like spending a few hundred plus the extra needed for a stepsides bed so i decided to build my own, i havent gotten to that project till now when i really bit into it. so ill document for all you guys out there.
first off i was given a set of rails and a cover from my cousins 02? silverado(the style with the trapezoidal headlights) anyways im using just the cover its a snap on version so ill be playing around with those. at first i was just going to use the rail and drill into to the top of my bed then i quickly decided not to. i knew i had a ton of extra width but the newer trucks actually have a shorter bed the inside of my trucks bed is roughly 49 inches where as the newer style is closer to 47 or so. im making the frame out of wood for now, basically gonna get me through this winter and then next year ill find some good aluminum and weld something better, so prototype time it is.

i shaved the ridges off the ends of the cover to length,

You must be registered for see images attach

heres the frame i used, l brackets and little metal strap for now, nothing permanent. the fit is a little too tight so ill be doing some trimming.

i painted about a 2inch lip around the inside of my bed to both prevent more serious rust that has already formed and so i have a nice clean surface to mount my brakcets.

heres the brackets i made, they are chrome plated brass, drilled a hole through the center and then put a threaded rod through, a nut on top and bottom and it remains stationary. i think ill take it next door to my nighbor later on so i can weld a thicker diameter rod on the top to i can put a differnt nut that goes into the frame if that makes sense.

i think im going to stain the wood after i make my final cuts. black stain would be great and i think i have some laying around the house. im also going to put a piano hinge in the center so that i can open either the top side or bottom instead of trying to manhandle the whole frame work while trying to open the thing.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
finished product for now. not completely satisfied with it but better than nothing