Fluctuating Oil Pressure and Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Post us some pics of that truck

Reaction score
Sorry, just getting back to this. Here is a few quick pics I took over the weekend when I had a moment. They aren't great pictures, but I think they show everything pretty well including the mismatched glove box haha!'

You must be registered for see images attach

Breakdown

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good looking truck. Sludge builds up over time. Newer oils don't build up as bad but being a farm truck it probably spent a lot of time either working hard or idling which take there toll on an engine. Run a can of seafoam through the engine like one of the other members said and run the piss out of it for short time. Then do an oil change with the cheapest Walmart brand you can find drop another can of seafoam then change again with good oil and no seafoam. Word of warning- I have seen it where sludge can clog the oil pickup screen causing no oil pressure after a flush so watch your pressure closely. If you see the pressure drop drastically when driving drop the pan and replace the screen and pump. I don't advise high pressure high volume pumps. Standard pressure pump works fine. As far as the idle goes check the throttle positioning sensor and idle air control motor. The tps is held on with two Torx screws on the passnger side don the throttle body and the iAc screws into the throttle body just behind it at an angle.

Reaction score
I will definitely look at those two things and I did run a can of seafoam through. Although it was only for a spirited 15 minute drive to work before immediately changing the oil then. I will have to try it again and leave the seafoam in longer as I am not used to using it on an older motor like this. Thanks for the advice!

Breakdown

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another option we used to use on older engines was automatic transmission fluid. Replace a quart of oil with atf. ATF is high detergent and still maintains good lubricating properties. Had a 71 Ford that had the odometer roll three times and was sludge central. Ran a quart of atf through it out about thee hundred miles on it hard then changed the oil. Worked pretty well

Reaction score
Any particular type of ATF? I have some Castrol Transmax left over from changing the fluid in my transfer case.

Breakdown

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not really don't run it for too long but a couple hours is what we used to do in the old 4.0 jeep engines.