Floor Shift Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My coworker, who cut out the little lighted bowties in the console, is making a shift indicator plate for me. IDK jist when He will have it done, but once its finnish, I will mount it on top of the black console cover, that the shifter goes through. I will also do a mock chevelle brushed aluminum center. Kind of like this pic. I will post pics once its done.
You must be registered for see images attach

GreenZ98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For anyone think about doing this swap, here is mine. The console is out of a 2006 Tahoe. The front ( shifter part ) is custom built, as is all of the parts that the horseshoe ( Chevelle, Camaro) shifter handle is mounted to. The base plate, and detent plate, I built. I reused the OE shift cable, just moved it from the column to the floor. I removed and unpluged the black shifter lock rod that wont let you shift untill you push the brakes. Once I pulled the OE shifter, I pulled the socket that it fits into, and cut the socket side off, then reinstalld the tang back into the shift socket on the column. This way, the column is in P and this lets you remove the key from the ignition. It is still a work in progerss, as I am still making a marker plate for the floor shifter ( like a Chevelle has) and the cover plate for that, but the indicator on the dash still shows what gear the trans is in.
How much of a job was it to get the gmt800 console fit? I like them much better than the original.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How much of a job was it to get the gmt800 console fit? I like them much better than the original.
Well, I cut the 800 floor bracket, and mounted it the the floor, where the 60-40 seat bolted in originally. Once that was done, the console bolted, or screwed into that base plate, but I could only use 2 of the 4 screws.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks, ill have to be on the look out for one in good shape now.
The console bolts in the Tahoe to the bolts that hold the seats, on the inside. So next the the transmission tunnel. These bolts in the Tahoe, are reverse torque. So the bolt head, needs a toruqes socket, and they are tight as hell too. Since I was going to cut these legs off anyway, I had ti cut one of them off, in the junk yard. I could not get that bolt to back off. I am not sure that these legs will line up with the seat bolt holes in our trucks, and thats if you already have bucket seats. Then you would have to remove your seats to get the mounting plate under your seat tracks.

GreenZ98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do have buckets already and the torx sockets. I had been planning on having the whole interior out pretty soon for deep cleaning, new carpet and sound deadening so this would be a good project to add in while doing all that. My wife's 03 suburban has the full console and its just so much more sturdy feeling and functional than the one in my 98.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I do have buckets already and the torx sockets. I had been planning on having the whole interior out pretty soon for deep cleaning, new carpet and sound deadening so this would be a good project to add in while doing all that. My wife's 03 suburban has the full console and its just so much more sturdy feeling and functional than the one in my 98.
Because, I didnt want the console to extend into the dash, I looked for one that was in 2 pieces. This one was. So I only took the rear section. I wanted the console to fit just under the dash, like I built it. Originally I was just going to make storage there, but when my coworker said, why not put a floor shifter, I said YEA, and I know just what shifter I want, a Chevelle shifter, thats what I will do. He was he talking about a B&M shifter, but the Chevelle shifter is way cooler IMO, and on the one I built, 1st to second gear, is a slap shift. So there is no way to miss second from first in a race, or whatever. Still thinking on how to make 2ed to 3er a slap, and 3ed to OD 4th a slap. Working M-F, 7 to 4 my time is limited, and I have other things going on, so no hurry on fooling with the detent plate to lock the gears on slap shifts rite now. 1st to 2ed is the one you miss anyway, most of the time. My truck is my dailey driver, so its not like Im racing someone often. Just when that turbo Hyundi Sonada thinks he is going to get infront of me at the green light, or something like that, I have to put them in there place, Ha Ha.