Fleetside or Stepside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do the exact opposite. I don't like the loss of cargo space with a fleetside and I have a local friend who wants a stepside. While I'm doing this I'm going to put in a new gas tank and pump assembly. Spectra makes the whole kit in one assembly along with new straps.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I'd watch out for the Spectra fuel pump, it maybe lasted me 20-25k miles before it took a **** on me. Sending unit was fine though. I'd get a Genuine GM fuel pump from Rock Auto if you want it to last.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do the exact opposite. I don't like the loss of cargo space with a fleetside and I have a local friend who wants a stepside. While I'm doing this I'm going to put in a new gas tank and pump assembly. Spectra makes the whole kit in one assembly along with new straps.
I love my stepside for working. Yeh, it won't haul as much but is great for ease of sweeping out after hauling branches, firewood etc. With branches I can pull the bottom one and all slide out without anything to catch on. I can reach things from either side by kneeling on the step. Nothing ever catches on the wheelwell when I slide it in. I had two bulk boxes of oil today, set one on the step while I got the other one out and carried both in one trip, couldn't do that with a fleet unless I set them on the wet ground. Always have a place to set the gas cap when refueling. Rear visiblity is amazing when backing up close to something, RC also helps. Two Tractor Supply cow mats are the perfect floor liner. Really easy to get the snow out of it. Fleets do look better though.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most attractive stepside ever made is the gmt400 . I hate every other stepside ever made. Owned a 1988 two tone since highschool, sex on wheels
Thanks for the words to paraphrase @shorepatrol

Smooth radius bends, graceful curves, matching body lines, nothing like the ugly metal longbed models on the previous model years.
Or the useless tin boxes on the short beds. Dang things are a big air brake in the wind...

Last edited: