Finally Found One LQ4 + 4L80E

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
They are the most common new transmission behind the LS motors. They have a user controlled max top gear(meaning you can tell the truck to not shift into a gear higher than what you choose via the shifter mounted rocker switch). My guess is that they would be fine in a light duty half ton. I have just had bad luck with them in HD work trucks.

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
Well I was told that this Yukon had the 4L80E trans. But I looked up the RPO code and it comes back to a 4L65E.

Anyone know if my 4L60E 2WD tail shaft/Housing fit the 65E?

I drove the Yukon today and that thing has such good response. Much better than my old tired ass 305.

I tried to brake torque it but forgot that it is AWD. LOL

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I was told that this Yukon had the 4L80E trans. But I looked up the RPO code and it comes back to a 4L65E.

Anyone know if my 4L60E 2WD tail shaft/Housing fit the 65E?

I drove the Yukon today and that thing has such good response. Much better than my old tired ass 305.

I tried to brake torque it but forgot that it is AWD. LOL

I think it will. From what I remember the differences are internal so a 65 is a tad stronger than a 60.

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
The 65E is a 4 speed like the 60E but just stronger. The 60E was revised in 01 and named 4L65E. So I assumed it would be the same as far and swapable parts. External that is. As far as I have been reading. Just wanted clarification on it to make sure.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
You can use the DBW, but you have to swap the gas pedal & some other stuff. I haven't done it, but it has been, just to let you know that it's possible. Maybe someone with exp. could jump in with some info.

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
You can use the DBW, but you have to swap the gas pedal & some other stuff. I haven't done it, but it has been, just to let you know that it's possible. Maybe someone with exp. could jump in with some info.

Ya I am still debating on which route I want to go. I think I will pull all DBW components just in case.

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
So I am trying to figure out the wiring now before it comes out so I dont have to later. I am going to be pulling the fuse/relay box under the hood too just so I have it in case I need it or not.

What is everyones choice of E-Fans? I need to locate some so while the old motor is out I can mount it up.

What radiator do I need? I see some keep the stock one of go with a heavier duty one. If I can then I will pull the radiator and reservoir out of the yukon and mount them up in my truck. Give it that modern feel under the hood. Or just mirror what the NBS looks like under there. Make people think about it for a second. LOL

I was thinking about the rear end swap and didnt even think that the yukon is 6 lug when mine is 5 lug. Can I just put in new axels with the correct bolt pattern?

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
Well after reading every swap thread on multiple sites, I think I have lucked out by having the whole donor vehicle at my disposal. All I have to do is take out what I need and stuff I think I will need and from there is should be a plug n play setup. With exception to the wiring.

Although I did see a thread that made the wiring VERY simple. So I have been going over all the printouts from ALLDATA for both vehicles to double check the wiring. It basically states, de pin the 0411 PCM completely and take one pin at a time from the OBS PCM and pin it in the correct location on the 0411. But I dont think I need to do that since I will be using the DBW setup. So I think I will just do it for certain things like cruise control and the emissions things that I need to retain. Unless someone else from OHIO has eliminated emissions components when doing this swap. 96-98, 99ish models and was cleared by echeck without any issues.

I dont want to have the EGR valve but I will be using the stock manifolds because I am doing this on a budget right now. Later I will put headers and shorter intake on. I think while it is out though I will do a cam.

Any suggestions on what cam to go with to make it a beast at the track but very streetable at the same time while retaining a decent MPG. This is my DD after all.

So much research the past week after getting the setup but it is well worth it. Long nights sitting here at the desk reading everything I can find. There are just a few things that im not sure on just yet but with help from the guys that have done the swap and google im sure I will come up with the answers.

Im hoping to pull the drive train on Wednesday. Will post up pics as it happens. Once the drive train and necessary parts are out then the truck will be getting scrapped.