fender flares?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99z28monster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I just got myself a 94 k1500 and it has some issues with rust on all four wheel wheels. It is not major looks like it could be covered by a flare. What I want to do is cut the fenders where the rust is and try and install flares. Could some one point me in the right direction for finding flares that would be big enough to cover the bigger wheel opening? thanks

here are the fenders does it seem like its possible to do? Also one of the cab corner, I am assuming I can buy a replacement part for this.
You must be registered for see images attach

cab corner/ rocker

Last edited:

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cab Corners aren't that much to replace. ($45)
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/products/Chevy-GMC-Truck-Cab-Corners

You should do almost a full replacement on the wheel well. Don't screw around with the partial replacement. Here are some ($85):
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/products/Chevy-GMC-Truck-Rear-Wheel-Arch-And-Wheel-House-Panels

With the front fenders, you have some choice. You can get OE replacement for $317 or Non Capa for $110. But with the fender damage you already have, I would recommend getting new fenders.
http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/products/Chevy-GMC-Truck-Front-Fenders

tiresmokindad

Reaction score
Why don't you try the bushwacker fender flares? I think they are fitted in the opining of the wheels.

Fleeingpepper

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Instead of starting my own thread I'll just ask this..do you actually need to take off the hood to replace fenders? Or can it be done without taking the hood off?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as I know the hood can stay on but the spring that holds it open bolts to the fender and will have to come off. You'll need a prop rod on it for safety.

As for flares, good idea, I'd do it in a heartbeat, that's why I have wide chrome trim, mine just started to blister. I'd either cut it out and use cut out flares, grind down and fill with fiberglass, or use fiberglass mat and resin or the sun cured sheets, then flares, or tin over the rust after it's cut or ground down. I think if you fiberglass/bondo them and undercoat the area under the flares it should last for a long time.

If not then you'll need patch panels you can get upper arches only, looks like all you need anyways. I don't know on these trucks but sometimes you can use a upper rear arch on the front fenders as well, maybe with a lil modification or none at all. I got a good buddy done that to his malibu, except backwards, had a fire burn the front end, which he replaced, but his 1/4's were rusted over the wheels well, so he cut the fenders up that got burnt, and used the arches on the back.

Low 89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I would definately replace the front fenders. When factoring in the price, don't forget about paint as that will be needed as well. I think it would just be easier to take the hood off when you replace the fenders though, that way you can do both at once without fighting a heavy hood as well. No risk of it fallin and smackin you on the back of the head!

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If he uses a prop rod on the core support or inner fender or somewheres that aint moving he's got no risk of it falling unless the prop rod breaks or is placed wrong, and you can't fight a heavy hood if it's got a prop rod under it.

I forgot about factorying in cost I do all that stuff myself at home so I don't pay for stuff like that.