FastOrange Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigbear

Reaction score
Thinking about doing some mods to my stock 5.7 . Really would like to try a set of the noisy gear set. Problem is the motor got 200000 plus on it now so dont want to spend to much before doing something different as far as motor. Are the gear sets easy to install?

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Hey man are you going with the noisy cam gears in that thing or just putting new timing chain gears? I always liked the way the noisy gears sound in a small block. Sounds like a blower whine.

Noisy gears, you cant use them on a Fuel Injected truck, would reek havoc on knock sensor.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Depending on quality and type of bearings used, even the quiets can still cause your timing to go a bit nutty.....hence why you do like Josh and switch to carb and coil-in-cap HEI.

It might be possible to tune the knock sensor out though........not really sure on that.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
So i was talking to my dad today, and we were talking about racing, and well, he mentioned that i could take the hoosier slicks and corvette rally's if i wanted, so i am now the proud owner of a set of 26x8/15 Hoosier Drag Slicks on 15" Corvette Rally's

You must be registered for see images attach

going to find another set of 73-87 Truck rally's to pop these onto.

Mercedes mechanic

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Noisy gears, you cant use them on a Fuel Injected truck, would reek havoc on knock sensor.
I was talking to a GM friend of mine about the size and duration I should use when I just built the White truck. He told me a few things. I asked him questions specifically about rebuilding the engine using all of the stock control's. i.e. o2's, ECT, TPS, EGR.

He told me that if I ran with too big of a cam the knock sensor code would go off (also with gear's, as in your statement).

But what he said next, Im still not really sure how it would work. He said, use some kind of piping assembly to get the knock sensor away from the block. Something about reducing the vibrations?

Im still trying to figure out myself or not if that could be true.

I read your entire topic before posting, you also do good work.

But can I have the Camaro?

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I think I'd rather go the route of trying to get the computer to ignore the distributor, and use a vacuum advance instead of even tinkering with the knock sensor.