Fan Clutch help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tooturntdad

Reaction score
Probably obvious answer for a “dumb” question. Got a fan clutch that bit the dust. Ordered a replacement and sadly was sent the wrong one so Im down without a fan clutch for a few days. Question is, can I still run around without it as I wait for the new one to come in.

Current conditions:
Temps have been fluctuating in East TN. Next week its suppose to be in the 30s after being in the 60s this past week.

My job is just a short 5 min drive up the road and thats about all I commute to to anyway with little to no stop and go traffic.

I have let it run and get to temp yesterday when it was about 55 out. Seemed to have held temp and not spike.

If its a definite no, then thats fine. I’ll hassle the ol lady for her car or have drive me around lol. Just wanted a second opinion on it.

Thanks folks.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What happened to the old clutch? Sent it in as a core?
It's kind of warm in knoxville right now, but I think you should definitely be good once this cold front hits. As long as you have the water pump belt on, coolant full. Just keep the truck moving and keep an eye on the temp.

tooturntdad

Reaction score
What happened to the old clutch? Sent it in as a core?
It's kind of warm in knoxville right now, but I think you should definitely be good once this cold front hits. As long as you have the water pump belt on, coolant full. Just keep the truck moving and keep an eye on the temp.
Haha yeah Im from Knoxville as well. Belt is on the pulley and everything seems fine. But nah I never did send the oe in for the core. The oe failed as it would legit spin freely and temps were fluctuating. Tried bleeding the system thinking I had an air pocket after the inlet hose retainer clip from that stupid quick release failed. Then realized the fan was just screaming. So I said its time for a replacement

BBslider001

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it possible to not hear the fan at all and have OH issues? It got hot last weekend when in traffic for 30 minutes and took a bit to comeback down....longer than I thought it should have taken. From what I have read, all things point to the fan clutch.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Fan clutches should be "in stock" at various parts stores.

2. For a 5-minute drive, I don't see a fan/fan clutch as an essential item.

3. About half (maybe more) of the "fan clutch doesn't engage" problems I deal with are in fact a failed radiator. The fan clutch engages when hot air coming off the radiator warms-up the bimetallic spring on the clutch, causing it to engage. But when the radiator won't heat the air because it's plugged; or the fins are corroded or folded-over, the fan clutch never gets warm enough to engage. Engine overheats, fan doesn't engage, and the clutch takes the blame for a faulty radiator. I've heard of guys on forums bittching about "defective" fan clutches--"I've installed three of them, and the fan never engages...". Yeah, the clutch won't engage if the radiator can't heat the air.

BBslider001

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1. Fan clutches should be "in stock" at various parts stores.

2. For a 5-minute drive, I don't see a fan/fan clutch as an essential item.

3. About half (maybe more) of the "fan clutch doesn't engage" problems I deal with are in fact a failed radiator. The fan clutch engages when hot air coming off the radiator warms-up the bimetallic spring on the clutch, causing it to engage. But when the radiator won't heat the air because it's plugged; or the fins are corroded or folded-over, the fan clutch never gets warm enough to engage. Engine overheats, fan doesn't engage, and the clutch takes the blame for a faulty radiator. I've heard of guys on forums bittching about "defective" fan clutches--"I've installed three of them, and the fan never engages...". Yeah, the clutch won't engage if the radiator can't heat the air.
Ah, ok. Very good point. I just need to figure out which one is the culprit. I could do a flush I guess? Which direction would be prudent at this point?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How old is the radiator?
Are the fins folded-over?
Have you ever washed/blown out the external fins (packed with dirt 'n' debris?)
Is the exterior of the rad corroded from road-splash?
Is the interior of the rad filled with scale or other deposits?
What does the coolant look like?
Has the coolant been tested for freeze protection, acid content, and voltage?

thx1138v2

Reaction score
Here's a quick TEMPORARY fix. I used once on another car I had when I was out in the boonies and blew a head gasket.

Put the radiator cap on tight and then turn it back one notch so it will jiggle in the throat of the radiator but won't come off. That keeps the system from pressurizing and blowing all of the overheated water out. You could check it once in a while to see if it needs water until you can get a permanent repair.

BBslider001

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How old is the radiator?
Are the fins folded-over?
Have you ever washed/blown out the external fins (packed with dirt 'n' debris?)
Is the exterior of the rad corroded from road-splash?
Is the interior of the rad filled with scale or other deposits?
What does the coolant look like?
Has the coolant been tested for freeze protection, acid content, and voltage?
Thanks for the questions. The coolant is green, radiator clean and healthy from what I can see, but is original, so there is that. I'll test the coolant this week. The fins are all straight and not debris filled. Truck only has 154k miles. It just started doing this and I noticed this morning the fan spins a few rotations when I shut it off. I also can't hear it.

Sorry for the hijack OP. I can start my own thread, but I think I have the answers I need. I'll report back. Thank you for the input!