Factory Stereo Setup, NEED HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

backinwhite90

Reaction score
Hello everyone, thanks for a great forum! This is my first post so I want to also say thank you to any help ahead of time.

My 90 stepside has the original head unit, eq and tape deck. I get zero power to the unit. The backlit green does show up at night and the "rcl" recall button will show the time. So we printed a wiring diagram, traced the wires down and if we cross I believe the constant, and the acc wires it powered the head unit on but not the eq. But zero sound, not even static. So my friend that was helping me suggested I replace the main tuner under the dash, I did so. Same issue. I replaced the head unit. Same issue. I replaced the eq, same issue. So all 3 replaced changed nothing. I have of course checked the "ctsy" and "radio" fuses in the dash and they are fine. Does anyone have anything else to try besides an aftermarket. I hate the look of the storage bin and aftermarket cd. Thanks ahead for any help!

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Is the radio fuse getting power in Accessory? The tape deck and EQ will NOT power up unless the radio is on. Backlighting is on a separate wire directly from the headlight switch so it working really doesn't mean much in this instance lol. The fact that the RCL button brings the time up means the deck is receiving battery power from the Ctsy fuse, you're just not getting ignition (accessory) power.

Replace that radio fuse if you didn't already. They can look good and not be.

Also, welcome to the forum!!

backinwhite90

Reaction score
Is the radio fuse getting power in Accessory? The tape deck and EQ will NOT power up unless the radio is on. Backlighting is on a separate wire directly from the headlight switch so it working really doesn't mean much in this instance lol. The fact that the RCL button brings the time up means the deck is receiving battery power from the Ctsy fuse, you're just not getting ignition (accessory) power.

Replace that radio fuse if you didn't already. They can look good and not be.

Also, welcome to the forum!!

Thanks, and we did test the radio fuse with a voltmeter and a test light, but I have not replaced it yet. I
I will grab a new fuse tomorrow, if that doesn't work where would you look next?

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
If the fuse is getting power but the radio isn't, and you've already ruled out the CDM, then you have a broken or loose wire between the fuse block and the CDM connector.

There's actually a real quick and dirty way to test the CDM, just jumper the battery in terminal (orange wire) to the terminal directly next to it (yellow wire) in the connector. If it powers up, the CDM is good. Oh wait you did that already LOL.

Oh hey, do you have power windows and do they work? What about your wipers?

Last edited:

backinwhite90

Reaction score
Sorry for the long period between responding, Radio still not working, but yes I have power windows, wipers, wiper fluid, all signals, all interior lighting when door opens, cargo light, it all works.