Factory fog lights inop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

limited_obs

Reaction score
I think I saw it in the underhood box. I saw one on this that said FOG LP which I assume to be fog lamps.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I will. Heck that out tonight, the truck in the video is a 2001 and mine is a 2000 but it may be worth a shot checking that fuse to see if I find the fog lamp relay. Appreciate it

limited_obs

Reaction score
I think I saw it in the underhood box. I saw one on this that said FOG LP which I assume to be fog lamps.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Checked the under hood fuse box and no fog lamp relay is there I’m out of ideas at this point

limited_obs

Reaction score
So I was doing some more research on this schematic so I decided to go after the drl relay. I started to check the actuation side of the relay with key on, pins 85 and 86. I checked them with my test light and I have full power at pin 85 with key on which is what I should have since it gets power directly from fuse number 4 when key is on, however pin 86 is the ground side actuation of the relay and I’m getting voltage at that pin also (a very dim test light bulb) so I’m thinking the ground side actuation coming from drl module is shorted to power somewhere. Not sure at all if this will have anything to do with my fog lights not working but I figured I start out with fixing the drl lights since I got access to the relay. Anybody have any clue where the drl module is located on our trucks?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For a 98 (maybe it’s unchanged for a 2000 this time) it’s on the far left side under the dash...

You must be registered for see images attach

delta_p

OBS Chevrolet, When Silverado Was A Trim
Reaction score
...however pin 86 is the ground side actuation of the relay and I’m getting voltage at that pin also (a very dim test light bulb) so I’m thinking the ground side actuation coming from drl module is shorted to power somewhere.

The control side of the relay should go from the fuse through the relay as you stated, and then to the DRL module. It is the DRL module that will switch that pin to a ground. So prior to the DRL providing ground, the relay pins on the control side should be at voltage. Once the ground is provided, the current will flow through the coil and the magnetic field it produces will operate the relay.

limited_obs

Reaction score
Alright guys I did some more tinkering with my truck today. I was under the dash trying to locate the drl control module to try and get my drl lights working but while in the process I stumbled across a relay that was on a bracket next to the steering column under the left side of the dash. Turns out that’s my fog lamp relay!!! I git super excited and I think I know why my fog lamps are not working. I was covering my basics so I was checking the actuation side of the relay. Pin 85 (yellow wire coming from fog lamp switch) I have 12 with key on, headlights on and fog light switch turned on. However pin 86 (green wire)should be the ground side of the relay, I believe has an open since I have no resistance from pin 86 to chassis ground. I did bypass the relay (jumping 87 to 30) and fog lights start working so I know the rest of the wiring is good.! Now my problem is trying to find where g134 is for the fog lamp relay. According to the diagram it’s on the top right center of the cylinder head but I don’t see nothing.....? Thanks for everyone’s help thus far btw!

Jramirez11

Reaction score
Ok guys so i need some help. I got some 454ss fog lights installed. But I want to use the facoty style switch. I have the lamps hooked up now with a harnesses i bought on amazon. Is there anyway to hook up the amazon harness to yhe factory switch by splicing the wires? If someone has done thisnplease let me know. Any help would be great! Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Depends on how the new harness is wired. I made my own harness using the electrical diagrams and aftermarket fog lights. The factory switch needs to be spliced into the headlight wires to work and the lights go through the relay

Oops, this is for the 88-94 interior fog switch