F44 Suspension Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlK89EXLB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haven't looked to see if I have the F44 pkg on my '89 ECLB K1500 5.7 yet...
but I am wondering Is it possible to swap to the HD bearings, rotors, and calipers on non-F44 spindles, CV shafts?

Thanks in advance!

zigsz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your bearings, rotors, spindles and cv's are the same as the F44 package... swap to 2500 calipers, get a 6-lug 14 bolt for the rear, and you're good to go.

BlK89EXLB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks allot, without a doubt the most helpful forum I've ever been on!!
-With the 2500 caliper, what size rotor do I use? I see there's two thickness available, can I use either as long as its 6-lug?

I have an '87 2500 C2500 Suburban (older style) with a non-posi FF 1-ton rear end, would that rear mount up? Dad believes it's a 4.10 gear.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Is the truck 2wd or 4wd, you said its a K1500 but you keep mentioning spindles, I'm confused?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the truck 2wd or 4wd, you said its a K1500 but you keep mentioning spindles, I'm confused?

I'm assuming he is meaning the knuckle when saying spindle.

OP the pre 91 do use different brakes/wheel bearing for the non F44 equipped trucks but everything is a direct swap over, and all stardard eqipment in 92. The wheel bearings are a little thinner on the non F44 equipped, put that bearing on a F44 truck or newer 92 and the rotors will rub the knuckle.

The rear end from the old square body suburban will need the spring perches moved to fit under your GMT400.

zigsz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OP the pre 91 do use different brakes/wheel bearing for the non F44 equipped trucks but everything is a direct swap over, and all stardard eqipment in 92. The wheel bearings are a little thinner on the non F44 equipped, put that bearing on a F44 truck or newer 92 and the rotors will rub the knuckle.

Hmm learn something new everyday.... I didn't know that about the pre '92 stuff.

The rear end from the old square body suburban will need the spring perches moved to fit under your GMT400.

If it's out of a 2500 square body then it's going to be an 8 lug axle as well.

BlK89EXLB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks allot Dirtridinz71! - Thats what I was trying to figure out!

I did mean Knuckle, sorry, got my part terms mixed up (damn pain killers!)

- it is an 8lug FF, but if it's worth the work to get a heavier rear in there I don't mind mismatched bolt patterns as long as the wheel style matches. Or it'll be added to the parts bin for another rig.

zigsz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Look for a 6 lug 14 bolt... Bolts right in and will have the same lug pattern for your wheels.