Extra Lift After Shackle Flip?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put a Zone 6" in the front and a ORD shackle flip (4ish inches) and 4/1 leaves in place of my old sagging 3/1s. Now the front is 3" taller than the back! At least measured in my driveway, which is sloped and the slope changes every few feet. The shop did crank it some to keep it from rubbing on the valence, so once I trim I think I can come down a little, but not too much since I have 37s.

Somehow I need to make up a couple inches in the back, and I've already crossed off a few potential options...

-Blocks: No thanks
-Longer Shackle: Not recommended by ORD, can cause too much body roll/sway and anything longer than what I have now would give me a crappy angle and thus crappy flex and ride quality. Moving the hanger would solve this, but it would also lower the truck back to where I started pretty much, but with worse handling.
-AAL: I'd rather not since I already have heavier springs and while I'm happy with the current ride, I don't want to go any stiffer.

Right now all I can think of is using a "zero rate" AAL which, for those who don't know, is a stubby little spring that doesn't actually have any spring to it. It works like a spacer/block but it actually bolts in and becomes part of the leaf pack and is thus more trustworthy.

But those are only sold in 1" thickness. I'd really prefer 2" but there might be a reason nobody makes them that thick.

Any other ideas?

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How is a 2" block not trustworthy? Install it properly and torque the hardware and you won't have to worry. There's really no downside. And they are cheap.

Otherwise, get lift springs.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Blocks are factory on many vehicles since the 60s, maybe even earlier. I have blocks on my tundra, lifted 5” with 35s. Tow n haul with it, zero issues. My Yukon has em too, not that it matters but has a whipple and is lifted n never kicked one. I wouldn’t worry....

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
^ agree with above, 2 or 3" blocks are perfectly safe and well proven through the years. Either that or get your 1" zero-rate spring and get some air bags and run like 10-20psi in them. You shouldn't get any different ride quality with the air pressure that low. And you will have them ready for if you haul anything heavy!

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess a small 2" block wouldn't be so bad. I need to shim the pinion down a bit anyway, if I get a block will it change the angle that I need? I just got my angle finder today and didn't get a chance to measure, but for example let's say I needed four degrees, should I order a block with a 4 degree angle or will those extra 2" change it to something else?

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess a small 2" block wouldn't be so bad. I need to shim the pinion down a bit anyway, if I get a block will it change the angle that I need? I just got my angle finder today and didn't get a chance to measure, but for example let's say I needed four degrees, should I order a block with a 4 degree angle or will those extra 2" change it to something else?

The tapered blocks will adjust the pinion angle a proportionate amount so you won't have to worry about that. Just order the blocks and some new longer u-bolts and slap them thangs in. I don't think you'll find blocks that specify a certain degree of taper though.

If it helps ease your mind, I have 3/4 ton leaves and a 4" block on my half-ton, and I get absolutely no axle wrap when the wheels spin. You'll be fine

https://www.roughcountry.com/universal-lift-block-kit-6592.html

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The tapered blocks will adjust the pinion angle a proportionate amount so you won't have to worry about that. Just order the blocks and some new longer u-bolts and slap them thangs in. I don't think you'll find blocks that specify a certain degree of taper though.

If it helps ease your mind, I have 3/4 ton leaves and a 4" block on my half-ton, and I get absolutely no axle wrap when the wheels spin. You'll be fine

https://www.roughcountry.com/universal-lift-block-kit-6592.html

Alright sounds good. Funny enough I ordered those same exact blocks right before I came here and read your post. I feel much better using fabricated vs cast blocks. I also ordered a few different sizes of shim so I can get it really dialed in.

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice! Post some pics when you're all done
Definitely! I'm just trying to get all the little stuff checked off before I actually go out and take good pictures.

Need to get it washed, need to do some paint touch up where I :superhack: today, fix a couple broken wheel studs on that junkyard special rear end, top off the diff oil because it holds more than I was expecting with an aftermarket cover, pop the center caps and lug nut covers in the wheels, and maybe get it aligned at some point. :crazy:

boy&hisdogs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's how it sits currently. I trimmed and let the torsion bars down some, now on flat (ish) ground my rear is only about 1.5" low. I only rub when I hit a sudden, steep uphill turn, and so far only on one side. I might trim a bit more, and maybe crank the front end up a tad. I'll have to get my full size spare mounted on a wheel and toss it in the bed to see what it does before calling it done and going in for an alignment, which last time I did front end work the alignment cured a one-sided rub.

You must be registered for see images attach