exhaust setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
I agree! and apparently they had the bigger set on some of the 350 vortecs. from what I understand the 350 vortec should be somewhere around 255 horse power and from what I have read for a dual exhaust it should be somewhere between 2.25 inches and 2.75 inches. and also from what I have read the 350 vortecs that got the bigger pipes are like 2.75 inches with the heavier duty cats. I would hope they would both bolt right up to the same manifolds??

I am just thinkin that with the head pipes are only 1 7/8 inch pipe and even smaller in some parts when they need to be atleast 2 1/4 inches then there should be quite a restriction there. I have a pipe expander that I might be able to stretch the pipes on my cats to fit but I would have to see. I am suspicous of one that sounds loose inside anyway so maybe Ill just get new ones or leave them off. (no emissions checking). but then I would have to deal with the engine light.

if I gained 1-2 MPG from it I would be way happy! but I would have to see what it would cost in total to and see. I would love to just salvage a pipe setup off a truck but the closest junk yard is 2 hours away.... but I found a universal 2.25 exhaust pipe kit that should work for $100 depending on if the flange would fit my manifold

The 2500 has 2.75" diameter piping for the majority of it. If you pulled the whole system from a junkyard truck, it would be a nice upgrade for a 1500.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
thats pretty similar to what I want to do but I want to keep mine a dual. it sounds like his pipes are about the same grade of grease as mine though. what do you think the pipes would cost me at a junkyard? I dont care about the cats I will either leave them out, get new ones, or make the ones I have to a decent size.

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GMRedline is the smaller exhaust in your pic the stock from the factory? becuase those cats dont look the same as what are on my truck and I am curious if maybe they have been replaced.

I found that pic in another thread on another forum that compared a 1500 to 2500 exhaust. I don't know which years are being compared or which specific engines. The one that represents the 1500 exhaust looks a lot like the one on my 99 Burb. There are some spots where I feel I could wrap my hand around it! lol

If your not stuck on "true duels" you could always go with this setup.

Walker Y 2.5" inlets to 3" outlet.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C938XA...TF8&colid=3QH2GA7C2ZX50&coliid=I17N1Z5E1BQIJ7

It's not mandrel bent but should flow better than stock. 96+ would have to add another bung on the passanger side for the O2.

3" Thunderbolt metal spun cats are about $50 on ebay. Even if you don't have testing it's not a bad idea to run a cat. These new high flow spun ones are not as restrictive as the old style and I feel like they cut down on rasp.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah i want to avoid raspy sound. are the cheaper metal spun cats of good quality? also i found a donor truck but it has the 7.4L in it but they are the same arent they? its a 97 k2500

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just looked at part numbers on rockauto.com and they look like they are the same

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My cousin in town said he could probably do 2.25 pipe on it for about $100 and t would be prett even. That would probably be better then what I have and it would be easier on me what do you guys think?

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My cousin in town said he could probably do 2.25 pipe on it for about $100 and t would be prett even. That would probably be better then what I have and it would be easier on me what do you guys think?

He has 2.25" mandrel bent tubing? I'm not sure if that's a huge upgrade over 2.25" with a crush bend.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went ahead and had him do it. he does the crush bending but comparing the old with the new the new is tons better. plus he is the only shop in town that does exhaust unless I travel 200 miles :(. he was pretty convinced that the cats needed to come out so I just had him remove them but I asked for them back. which they are not in real great shape a few of the honey combs are clogged and in one there is what looks like the remanance of a mouse nest or something. it was pretty burnt and gone but still, I also found a little rock in one of the Cats.

I havent driven it a ton since I got it back but from what I have noticed is that it accelerates alot smoother and has alot more bottom end. the truck also seems to run a little cooler according to my scanguage 2. the one thing that I am not liking right now is the loud fire ******* like popping I get when accelerating hard. I like the loudness and the deepness just not the firecracker part. I know that someone mentioned that catalytic converters would help with that but my funds for the project have ran out atleast for the time being. But from what I have read a H pipe can also help quite a bit with that sound. I also happen to have access to a welder and some pipe.

But what would be better? I have a piece of 3" pipe and a couple small sections of my old stock pipe that would work perfect. also from what I understand a crossover pipe will help with scavenging and power. so I could either take a small section of the new pipe out and put in the H part with a piece of my old pipe. OR take a small section of the new pipe out and put in a small section of 3" pipe and use the new pipe for the H part. what do you guys think??