Exhaust recommendations...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all,

Well, after 20 years, the exhaust system in the GMC is about done for. The tail pipe is eaten to heck, so are the brackets that hold it up (good thing coat hangers work well too) and the rest of it is plain rusty.

I'd like to, at a minimum, replace everything from the muffler to the end of the tail pipe.

What do you guys recommend? I'd like something that makes the truck sound a bit aggressive, but not obnoxious. Like now, it sounds fine idling and driving down the road, but if you sit at a light and rev it up, it sounds pretty badass because of the rotted exhaust. Is there anything that meets that criteria? A little more rumble all around, but nothing that just makes you sound ridiculous as you drive by?

I don't suppose the brand of tail pipe and such matters all that much.

I was talking to my transmission guy, and he said I should be able to get around another 15-20HP out of the engine if I install a less restrictive "Y" pipe in there, one that connects at an angle, instead of nearly a 90* turn like the factory one. Any recommendations there?

I hope I put this in the right section, I didn't see an "exhaust" section on here.

93SierraWT

Greater Made Chevy
Reaction score
I have ran a single Magnaflow with stock exhaust on mine, and I am now running duals in a true dual setup. Even with duals it is not obnoxiously loud and just has a nice low rumble. If your tailpipe is that bad, chances are the rest of your pipes are in rough shape. Unless you plan on throwing some other parts at your motor, I'd just stay with single exhaust. If I were you, I'd replace everything from with Manifold back with 2.5" pipe. Depending on your state, you may be able to get away without running a cat.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well how much are you looking to spend? The stock pancake cat sucks and is terrible. If you are not wanting to do headers or go that far then at the very least do a high flow cat, new muffler, and exit how you want.

I would recommend a 18" magnaflow or a thrush welded muffler.

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
I have ran a single Magnaflow with stock exhaust on mine, and I am now running duals in a true dual setup. Even with duals it is not obnoxiously loud and just has a nice low rumble. If your tailpipe is that bad, chances are the rest of your pipes are in rough shape. Unless you plan on throwing some other parts at your motor, I'd just stay with single exhaust. If I were you, I'd replace everything from with Manifold back with 2.5" pipe. Depending on your state, you may be able to get away without running a cat.

x2 mine is maganflow with single out

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score
Lol, my exhaust recomendation was ruled out the moment I read that you don't want it to be too obnoxious!!!

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, put it this way. In the 45 minutes it's been between now and when I posted this, the tail pipe has fallen off the truck, clamp, hangar and all. The truck itself has no rust, but the exhaust itself is.

Budget? Under $400-500 if I can help it. I think that should cover a muffler, and the tailpipe at least, and perhaps a cat too. I don't know, never had to do any exhaust work before.

I suppose I could just remove the muffler, and drive it around like that for awhile. :D

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, put it this way. In the 45 minutes it's been between now and when I posted this, the tail pipe has fallen off the truck, clamp, hangar and all. The truck itself has no rust, but the exhaust itself is.

Budget? Under $400-500 if I can help it. I think that should cover a muffler, and the tailpipe at least, and perhaps a cat too. I don't know, never had to do any exhaust work before.

I suppose I could just remove the muffler, and drive it around like that for awhile. :D

that kind of budget could get you a high flow cat, muffler, tailpipem and install.

I have a thunderbolt cat and love it, lots run Magnaflow high flow cats too.

frito-bandito

8 Lugs + 6 Tires + 4 Doors
Reaction score

With that kinda money, you should have many options on exhaust, but enjoy the muffler-less exhaust, I chopped my **** off after the cat and I love the sound, but its obnoxious...just the way I like it!!!

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Give me some recommendations guys, I don't even know where to start, or what websites to go to.

High flow cats, what do you guys run/recommend?
Muffler, Magnaflow, Flowmaster...and particular series, or are all the Magnaflow series the same? Flowmaster 40, 55, etc.?

I was going to just pull the muffler off, but everything down there is rusted together pretty solid, including the clamps. Can't even get the bolts to budge.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
DOes no one read my posts on this site? like really? I just posted two companies for cats an two for mufflers that would give you your desired sound