Exhaust Cutout

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
you might wanna crawl under your truck and take a look, I have a 97 and it doesen't Y into 1 pipe after the cats.

I'm speaking from a fairly hazy memory and lack of attention to how it was done so I'll check tomorrow since it'll be dark when I get home and I'll let you know. I thought I remembered two cats and a bit of piping after them into a y pipe into the muffler

We'll see, im probably wrong haha and (as far as I know) my exhaust should be stock before the muffler

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Note that cutouts are gonna automatically fail you for emissions. They are illegal here in redneck ass Mississippi, so i could imagine how it would go up there.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
If it's blocked off at the time, wouldn't it go through like the normal exhaust? I must not be understanding something here...

98_k1500

Reaction score
Here, the law reads "no exhaust cutouts". Im pretty sure its the same there. Otherwise yes, it'll pass emissions.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
I mean, they don't have to know right...? I'm sure NJ law says the same thing as well but if they don't see it what do they know?

98_k1500

Reaction score
That would all depend on how through your inspections are. Here you could slide by with them, but if anyone ever notices them, you will be looking for a new place to have your truck inspected lol

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
In my state (california) and we are the king of emission standards, they dont look under your truck for aftermarket cats or anything else.

sniffer in the tail run it, if it passes half of them look under the hood, but its a double edge sword for them, If you pass emissions and fail inspection, people aren't coming back. and down goes your buisness.

If the cutouts are after the cats, technically it would still pass emissions.

98_k1500

Reaction score
Some states do a visual under the truck with a mirror, not sure which ones tho. Around here, you pay $5 and tell the guy what year model it is, he slaps a sticker on the windshield and you are on your way.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Around here there R no inspections! Ha!

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
Here we only have emissions, if you put it after the cat, I don't see why you would fail emissions unless they look under the truck and have a problem with it.

Sent from my awesome S5