excessive crankcase pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Runninpapa

Reaction score
Need some help here. Brand new crate 350 on my 93 Silverado K1500 (total restoration). I have got so much crankcase pressure it sounds like I'm skinning cats when I stop. 200 miles on the motor. Had an Edlebrock Proformer on it. I hate California had to put stock back on for smog (no longer legal after 1/1/15). After 150 miles I noticed a small oil leak at the back of the manifold, pulled it off. New gaskets and plenty of black rtv, no more oil leak, and lots of crankcase pressure. If you pull the oil dipstick or the right side pcv it stops. Doing the intake manifold is nothing new for me, this is the first time I have ever ran across this problem if I didn't have to smog it again in less than a year my Edlebrock would be back on it for 2 more years. Anybody have any ideas?

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Excessive crankcase pressure means you have blowby. If it gets really bad then oil will start pushing up the dipstick tube which will make a mess under the hood and possibly cause a fire. Ask me how I know.

Blow by can be caused by faulty piston rings. The pressure building up in the cylinder wall as the plug fires forces the piston downward but some of that pressure is leaking past the rings and down into the crankcase. I would suggest doing a leakdown test on each cylinder and see what you get for numbers.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/116-0406-cylinder-leakdown-tester/

Runninpapa

Reaction score
Not going to believe this. At work and on break this morning. The light bulb goes on. Something didn't look right when I put the Airaid cold intake back on. Breather hose nipple was chrome not plastic. I was recovering from surgery and my Son-n-Law installed the intake manifold to the TBI along with the emissions. No way you got to be joking. Run out pop the hood on the Sub. Pull the breather hose from the valve cover he put a second pcv valve in the in with the breather hose. I live less than a mile from work. Went home put a new fitting on the breather hose. Fired her up. Guess what no pressure problem. Oil pressure is better, brakes work better, and she runs great.

The White Rhino is Alive.

Note to self. As much as I love my Son-n-law never let him work on the cars without supervision.