Engine Stuttering during acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88C1500

Reaction score
For the past 3-4 weeks my truck has been acting up. Especially when cold. When you go to accelerate it will cut and act like its going to die but when you push a little more on the throttle it cuts back in. Sometimes the truck will take off like a bat out of hell "more than normally should" when doing this. It also has a lower pitched tone to it. It normally sounds really deep "the exhaust" but its alot quieter. Ive been told it could be the O2 sensor, the Mass Air Flow sensor, vacuum leaks and all sorts. But the trucks engine light is not on.
Any Ideas?

The truck is a 1988 C1500 with a 5.7 350. Not really built, small cam, tbi spacer, hooker long headers, open K&N air filter

Nobodys94

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
U need to check the TPS and also all the other sensors while your at it. Get a multimeter if you dont have one and follow Yeti Owners posts on how to check all the different sensors. Its all very simple and will take less then an hour.

Best thing u can do at this point.IMO.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
My truck did something simular last fall, When you would accelerate it would cut out and break up for a few seconds and then clear up. It turned out to be the ignition coil arching when damp.

Not sure if this is what your experiancing, but it's worth a shot to check out.

88C1500

Reaction score
Thanks I tried getting the O2 sensor off but it didnt want to move and I dont really feel like taking the chance of breaking it. As for the MAF, i found from 95 and back these trucks didnt have one (so mine doesnt)

And I got to reading in my manual and it mentioned the ignition coils as well so ill have it checked out