engine paint or powder coat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Alright, so i want to paint my engine! Just simply black, but im afraid it will turn to a flat ugly greyish or flat black. Ive read online that, thats what it could do. I was wondering if i should get it powder coated? The guy in town wants around 300.. figured since im deep into it now, might be worth it? I know... its lots to chew with one bite! But has anyone ever built an engine that looks good ? im not painting the heads cause the are alluminum, so basicly just the block. Same with the headers, they were ceramic coated, but they started rusting, i was debading on painting them since the powder coated wants around 250-300 to coat them again... same price i paid new!

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Powdercoat is a lot more work and money, but I say go for it! Let us know your experience as well. I really want to Powdercoat my next model a engine.

-Via Mobile-

firefighter_2319

more time than money
Reaction score
powder coat is alot better. i do it to all mine that i do. make sure you everything is clean as possible. fyi....they do make a clear that is powder coat as well.

tscherbi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I painted my last engine I built with special high temp paint in 2007, it still looks great. IMO as much crap as there is in our engine compartment you really cant see much of the block anyways. I think powder coat is the best thing you can do. But paint worked good for my application. I think you need to take into account what type of roads you drive in, snow, salt, dirt. I clean my engine compartment about every other month. If your doing a budget build you will probably be okay, but powder coat is the best.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Theres not much of a budget now lol.. My engine compartment will be pretty empty now, im running the baterie to the box, winshield washer fluid under the box in the rear, then im runnning carbed, so theres almost no wires, im running the headlight wires in the fenders and filling in the fender holes. So theirs almost nothing there now other then brake master cylinder and the clutch piston cylinder thing. And the truck will be only used on nice days. and then the odd time in the rain. So it shouldnt get to dirty id like to assume... So im still stumped on what ill be doing. Thanks for your 2 cents guys!

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
If your putting the time & effort into it, i'd say it is worth the money aswell. However, if you'll be driving it pretty well only when road conditions are nice, i'd say you can get away with just the regular spray and by keeping up on the TLC, cleaning & maintenance. I know you'd like to see that 4-link come together under there soon too. You'll have to weigh your options out, engine bay done beyond expectation, or 4-link a month ahead? :lol: tough decision.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
If your putting the time & effort into it, i'd say it is worth the money aswell. However, if you'll be driving it pretty well only when road conditions are nice, i'd say you can get away with just the regular spray and by keeping up on the TLC, cleaning & maintenance. I know you'd like to see that 4-link come together under there soon too. You'll have to weigh your options out, engine bay done beyond expectation, or 4-link a month ahead? :lol: tough decision.

you've got a point there!! my father is saying to just paint it... but im also worried that rust will come through the paint... its an old block, its lamost completely rust free now, but their is still some..

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Powdercoat hands down. I've had alot of underhood parts Powdercoated on my car and they still look brand new. That was 5yrs ago.

Sent from my iPhone in some random spot of Texas.