Engine noob question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Layed90

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys. Long time subscriber in the bagged/lowered thread. Just beginning to get hands on regarding the engine (350 5.7 1990 Sierra)

Question: I recently replaced the IAC valve because it had a rough idle. After replacing the new one, the engine tries to turn over but doesn't start. Any info on this?

Question 2: When putting my TBI back together, I snapped a piece that goes from the driver's side valve cover to the TBI's casing (round metal piece that fits over the intake) does anyone know what that's called? I need to replace it and I can't get the bottom piece out of the valve cover either.

Sorry for so many questions, but I figured I turn to you guys while I wait for my repair manual in the mail haha.

Thanks all in advance!

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do an iac plunger reset. I believe that you jumper terminals a and b of the aldl and turn the key on for 30 seconds then shut off the key and remove the jumper. The other piece is called a "choke collar".

Layed90

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. So what is the "jumper" part exactly?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Jumper is any piece of metal that will conduct. A paper clip is commonly used.

The concern is your IAC is bottomed out and will not allow the engine to get enough air around the throttle plates to start. Have you tried cracking the throttle just slightly and turning it over?

if the IAC is your problem, it should start but die when you let off the throttle.

Layed90

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ah, got it. So that's not my problem them because it's not even starting now. Just keeps cranking with no turn over.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys. Long time subscriber in the bagged/lowered thread. Just beginning to get hands on regarding the engine (350 5.7 1990 Sierra)

Question: I recently replaced the IAC valve because it had a rough idle. After replacing the new one, the engine tries to turn over but doesn't start. Any info on this?

Question 2: When putting my TBI back together, I snapped a piece that goes from the driver's side valve cover to the TBI's casing (round metal piece that fits over the intake) does anyone know what that's called? I need to replace it and I can't get the bottom piece out of the valve cover either.

Sorry for so many questions, but I figured I turn to you guys while I wait for my repair manual in the mail haha.

Thanks all in advance!

What do you mean by "tries to turn over" ? I think you might be out in left field here...

Layed90

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone know what the hose is called coming from the driver side valve cover? It goes into the air cleaner adapter around the throttle body it seems. Noticed it was snapped and I figured i'd replace it