Engine Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did some offroading over memorial day weekend and I am always watching out for the truck, but I may have pushed it a little too hard. Went through a couple deep puddle's almost to the top of the tires. Got home and over the last day or so I noticed something was up- here is what i noticed.

Good- Truck shifts,into forward and reverse, neutral and drive fine.

Good- idles fine

Good- steers fine, brakes fine.

Bad- fuel guage now not working (sending unit perhaps?). Was half tank when i went offroading, filled it up full the next day and i've driven to and from class and hauled a boat and its still showing full, when it's not.

Bad- I feel it idle rough and feel shaking (and a noticeable amount, too) from either the engine or something else in the cab when in "drive". happens when i am at a red light and my foots on the brake. Oil temp guage dances around below 40 and when i let foot off brake and give it gas it shakes once or twice more.

Bad- Shakes in reverse too, but only for a few seconds.

What to do?? Thanks!

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rough idle. Check you plugs and wires. Make sure they have a good connection, one of my plugs fell out and it idled terribly. Also check the fuel pump/senders grounds.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
About plugs and wires, thanks, i'll check 'em out. Where can i find the fuel senders/grounds? Could that be causing the guage not to work?

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
The ground for the entire rear harness (and fuel pump/sender i think) is on the top of the driver side frame rail, right behind the fuel tank on my truck, not sure about your burban. Also, check the ground cables on the passenger side frame rail, RIGHT underneath the condenser for the A/C. And while youre at it, check the one that goes direct from the battery to the block. Easy to trace, no need to climb underneath. It may be a bit loose and the moisture is playing hell with it.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll check those- thanks! Also noticed it ran rough while im driving (when the rpm's go up, like perhaps on a hill when you give it some gas)

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update: Took it by the shop. Should have it back tomorrow. Think it's a misfire in cyl. #7 and thats the cause to the engine shaking. Might be bad plug, plug wires or something.

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
I'm still betting on the ground wires. JD - good call on the locations for them.