Engine died

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tannerezell077

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A high pitch wine, like you said a screeching sound. If you keep holding the key after the truck is started, the starter will stay engaged, and you can hear for your self what it sounds like. If nothing changes when you do this (hold the key in the start position) then you know the starter is sticking. And that would be the bendix sticking. I never just replace a bendix though. On a GM it is on the starter any way, and I figure, if the bendix is bad, what shape is the starter in. Oh and always ask for a new starter, not a rebuilt. A rebuilt is an old starter that has been repaired and cleaned up, and maybe some new paint. Here is a good video on shimming a starter in case you need to replace your starter and the new one need to be shimmed. Eric the car guy, is the bomb.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
i got one of my close friends to help me put those shims on he is a mechanics son and we got the shims on it fired up and still is making an awful sound he said it was definitely something in the block that has broke or went wrong that it wasn't the starter. he said my best option would go be buy a new motor because mine is about shot

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
i got one of my close friends to help me put those shims on he is a mechanics son and we got the shims on it fired up and still is making an awful sound he said it was definitely something in the block that has broke or went wrong that it wasn't the starter. he said my best option would go be buy a new motor because mine is about shot
That was my thoughts when I asked about the engine seizing up a little. My thoughts were that the main or rod bearings may be expanding a little, making the engine get tight as it warms up, and this making the starter strain to turn the engine over.

tannerezell077

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That was my thoughts when I asked about the engine seizing up a little. My thoughts were that the main or rod bearings may be expanding a little, making the engine get tight as it warms up, and this making the starter strain to turn the engine over.
i got a new motor it is a 350 out of an 89 pontiac trans am. i think everything will work fine with mine except the oil pan and the intake. i believe that year is the l98 and they are tpi instead of tbi. should my intake and throttle body bolt up to the heads on the l98?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think it will, but you are going to need ro do some research. I think the TBI distributor will work too. Again you will need to research this, but is seams like I have seen this swap. You may even want to post a new thread asking for info here. Something like, 98 TA 350 to 95 TBI swap questions, or something like that.