engine code p0440

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pewterz71

Reaction score
so my 98 k1500 has been throwing the p0440 code lately. the light will come on and stay on for a little bit and then turn off randomly. I looked up the code and it gave me multiple possible issues such as the fuel filler neck, a purge solenoid issue, a bad gas cap, or a catch canister issue. I went to get it inspected when the light was off (I've passed this way before) and i failed this time and the guy said the gas cap was good. does anyone know the common problem for this or have had this problem before and where should i start?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Could be anything in the fuel evap system really, even just a pinhole in a hose. The only way to reliably diagnose it is to take it to a competent shop and have the system smoke tested for leaks. It may take more than one test to find it, sometimes you have to catch these things on their worst behavior. I know it sucks, but it's better than just throwing parts at it blindly.