engine bay cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

new2this

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
best way to clean your engine bay? im thinking cover distributor cap and alternator use some of that gunk off degreaser to break up alot of the real dirty spots and pressure wash is this a good idea?

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I never cover anything up other than a open filter I dont like the GUNK stuff I think its too harsh. On a really dirty engine bay I would spray WD40 and let it sit for like 15 minutes then spary simple green let that sit a bit then presure wash it off

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Castrol Super Cleans works great too. I do normally cover the alternator, ruined the voltage regulator in one a couple years back from getting it wet when washing it.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I don't think I'd ever pressure wash my engine bay, too much moisture would get in the electrical connections and that much pressure would probably break some 20 year old plastics and wires.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
You could use a pressure washer. I'd stay away from the top/back of the engine (it shouldn't be that dirty anyway), and cover the distributor with a ziploc back w/ a zip tie. Simple Green is great stuff-wet the surface first.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
nothing like a little elbow grease and some hot soapy water. A spray bottle with some degreaser works wonders but yes I know, it sucks doing it the hard way. I dont care for pressure washing an engine.

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
I need to do mine as well. I'm thinking Simple Green and a garden hose will be ok. I probably will cover the dist.