Engine backfires at high rpm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dean1roberts

Reaction score
I have a 98 k1500 5.0 305 recently got it replaced the distributor cap and rotor along with the Ingnition control module
It has a misfire on cylinder 3 and backfires without load at 70% to full throttle under load around 50-60% so around 2500 to 3500 rpm. The rpm gauge flutters as it drives as well. Just need help with the diagnostic as you can’t get specifics anywhere else. Thank you

dave s

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Start with the easy stuff. I would try and eliminate the misfire on cylinder 3 first. Did you put new plugs in? Check plug wires? You could run a compression test on that cylinder as well.

dean1roberts

Reaction score
Haven’t done the compression test but I have swapped out the wires and plugs probably do the compression test in the next couple days

pressureangle

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Double check you got the plug wires on the correct cylinders.
I drove my old 318 Dodge pickup a thousand miles with 2 cylinders swapped, never ran bad enough to make me look until I got home...

dean1roberts

Reaction score
I’ll look over them again I was thinking it could be some sort of cross fire but I did check them not to long ago

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't rule out restricted exhaust when the backfire is at heavy throttle.

Plugged converter, damaged exhaust pipe, worn cam lobe/lifter so the valve hardly opens, etc.

An exhaust valve that doesn't open isn't really going to show up on a cranking compression test.