Light misfire at 75mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeezLouiseGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone, its been a while and it seems i only come back around when problems arise.

My truck is having a very slight misfire around 70-75mph under light throttle light load on the interstate. At times it is barely noticeable whereas others you'll feel a sudden deceleration and a pop in the exhaust. It drives perfect under 55mph with no misfires what so ever. I have no check engine light and all my vitals on the dash look great. This really doesn't affect drivability a ton but it does make me feel uneasy driving on the interstate because of this.

Shortly after this started I replaced my distributor (somewhat unrelated, had a no start condition), as well as did a tune up including new NGK plugs and wires, and replaced my ICM with an AC Delco unit.

The coil is also fairly new, having been replaced a year or two ago with an NGK unit.
I was reading on another thread that it could be the EGR valve being clogged up and that's my next step. I would like to know if anyone has had a similar issue and what their fix was?
Thanks for your help in advance!

1999 Sierra Classic, k1500 Vortec 5.0.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Verify fuel pressure, preferably when misfiring at higher speed.

Connect a scan tool, look at the data stream when misfiring at higher speed. Find out what the computer is trying to tell you.

A clogged EGR is not likely to cause a misfire. An EGR that's flowing at low speed might.

JeezLouiseGMC

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Copy, I'll have to get a scan tool. I know there is a way to get it on an android tablet with a cheap obdII reader but I'll have to look into it again.

I feel like as long as I have owned and worked on this truck I should have access to a scan tool by now lol

On another note, any recommendations on a scanner to get? I've looked around and and it seems that I get a different answer anywhere I look

Although I should mention even at 70-75mph at anything greater than light throttle it doesn't stumble or anything. My thinking is that if I was having a fuel pressure issue that it would get worse with rpm and or load?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Twenty+ years ago, when it was my money, I bought a Snap-On MTG2500, used, from a seller on eBay.

A couple of years ago, I had to replace it. Again, bought a used Snap-On Solus Pro from a seller on eBay.

I would rather have a professional-grade used scan tool, than a brand-new consumer-grade tool.

Other folks like the software + Cable solution for a laptop computer, or some similar method. Never used one, can't help there.

harpo

Reaction score
Mine is coming in tomorrow

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230518_231039_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230518_231039_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230518_230926_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230518_230926_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 4

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah scan tool is the only way to go. I got tired of "guessing" at what was wrong with my vehicles. I bought an autel MK808 off amazon. It's a step down from their "pro" stuff, but it does everything i need it for.

Only problem I have with it is the yearly subscription fee for updates.