electric fan questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Any radiator that will fit will work. I've been using stock size radiators for over half a million miles in these trucks and haven't had a cooling failure. I do seem to pop them fairly often in my 94, I get about 100k before they start leaking at the plastic. The last 2 were warranty replaced by Napa(I put quite a few hard miles on the truck each year). I paid 190 bucks for the one I originally bought. Multiple row/oversized radiators can add a layer of security, but they aren't really needed. If the vehicle is overheating then there is a bigger problem somewhere. One thing that I have always done is ditched the trans fluid running through the radiator. Add an external cooler and remove the lines going to the radiator. That is not a way to cool the trans fluid, it is a way to warm it up. You and I live down here in the south and our winters aren't harsh enough to require the warm up. The problem I have with the factory system is if your engine overheats, so does the trans fluid/trans. And if the trans fries it heats up the coolant. And worst of all if the radiator fails and allows coolant into the trans or trans fluid into the coolant...... or both.

chevyboy1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
oh dang i didnt think of it that way.i have an external cooler.so i dont hook up the trans lines to the radiator i hook them strictly to the cooler.could that cause a problem with cooling?

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
oh dang i didnt think of it that way.i have an external cooler.so i dont hook up the trans lines to the radiator i hook them strictly to the cooler.could that cause a problem with cooling?

No, bypassing the radiator with a trans cooler has no ill effect at all, unless you live somewhere that temperatures are below freezing often.