Early nv4500 hydraulic system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've about had enough of the nv4500 hydraulic system. Yesterday I had a 2 month old system blow out on me. The plastic MC blew out. This is the second one I've had blow out on me. I went to the local advance auto and picked up just a MC that happens to be a steel one. I have had nothing but problems bleeding it, same problem that cause me to pick up an entire new pre-bled sealed system 2 months back. Anyway, the clutch works for a little bit and then quits and stops working then starts working again etc. Its frustrating. So the question is, are there any "good" hydraulic setups for the early nv4500 other than what's offered at any parts store. Preferably a full pre-bled setup? Thanks.

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Correct. Had a problem before when I did my LS swap. Tried bleeding, no luck. Bought a pre-bled system, everything worked great. Little sticky sometimes, but it worked. Blew MC out yesterday, replaced just MC, been trying every form of bleeding procedure besides vacuuming the system, no luck. Works one second then stops working and then starts working again.

GM Guy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
some have said reverse bleeding with a mityvac is the way to go. I guess you are basically pumping fluid in the slave bleed screw and collecting it off the top.

I think its best to bench bleed the Master.

I am also very anti- chain auto parts store. :)

For the few we have done, it seemed to have worked OK to have a helper run the clutch while the other did the bleeding.