Dual Exhaust Set Up Opinions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tylers88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i didnt read the 3 inch part... vortec 350 3/4 tons come factory with 3 inch true dual pipes maybe you could pick some up at a junkyard and just replace the factory cats with high flows

get cats from a NBS, they outflow most performance cats and can be had at a junk yard

axisT6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My headers are completely shot and I plan on getting long tube Hooker headers (I might get the ceramic coated).

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hok-2462hkr/overview/year/1995/make/chevrolet/model/k1500

I want to run a 3" exhaust like everyone else and I will run catalytic converters but if someone can suggest "performance" or gutted cats.

I'd like to incorporate these violator mufflers because they're extremely loud and I like the quality
http://www.pypesexhaust.com/mufflers.html#03

I'd just get 4" tips somewhere and I would have the exhaust tips underneath the rear bumpers

Is there any company that makes a full dual exhaust for our trucks? I'd prefer if it was stainless. If not, is it possible to have a custom dual exhaust made and would there be any noticeable power gains?

Hooker has a good collector design. What I would do is run collector extensions with a balance tube (h-pipe) connecting the extensions. Overall length needs to be around 18" IIRC. You will be better served running a 2.5" dual exhaust.

Any exhaust shop should be able to set up dual exhaust on a truck. Only problem is that 3 inch pipe requires a mandrel bender and not all shops has one of those. Or you can do what i did and get a set of dual pipes for our trucks off of a GMT400 in a junk yard and weld it onto the cherry bomb vortec lol. Sounds like its gona be one kick a$$ set up.

You don't need a mandrel bender for 3" pipe. All exhaust shops have crush benders, and I have yet to see one shop that couldn't bend 3" pipe with a crush bender.

YOU honestly dont need 3" duals thats just way to large creates no back pressure imo

This is a misconception. An engine doesn't need back pressure, it needs scavenging. This is done with a correctly sized and tuned exhaust system. The trick is to maximize scavenging and minimize or eliminate pressure drop. The best exhaust systems should create around 2 psi pressure drop AT MOST.

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the Hooker headers are what I should get? What about O2 sensors? I have no knowledge about this computer stuff because everything I've worked on has been pre-1979. Is there a spot or something on the header where the sensor goes?

I guess 2.5" is what I will go with. I just need help selecting the size muffler I need from Pypes and I'll be set!

axisT6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The hooker headers for your truck will have the O2 Sensor bungs welded on. You may have to drill the hole out though. For the muffler, a trick to do would be to run 3" mufflers using 2.5" - 3" adapters like this:

You must be registered for see images

The picture shows flowmaster reducers, however I am sure other manufacturers make gradual reducing cones like these.

Do not use adapters that have abrupt ID changes like these:

You must be registered for see images attach

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I've gathered 2.5" Pypes Violator mufflers, and 4.5" tips and I will be getting Magnaflow 2.25" cats along with the Hooker header back 2.25" system for our trucks.

Questions I have:

Will I need a 3" to 2.25" header reducer?
For each muffler in and out will I need a total of 4 2.25" to 2.5" adapters?
Will an AC Delco factory O2 sensor work with aftermarket headers?

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Idk about the other stuff, but you should be able to take the mufflers to a shop an have the inlet an outlet stretched so it just fits inside the 2.5" pipe. Then you wouldn't need all those adapters....

Edit, I read that wrong. Either way you could have the pipes stretched to fit the muffler to an avoid the adapters...

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Idk about the other stuff, but you should be able to take the mufflers to a shop an have the inlet an outlet stretched so it just fits inside the 2.5" pipe. Then you wouldn't need all those adapters....

Edit, I read that wrong. Either way you could have the pipes stretched to fit the muffler to an avoid the adapters...

Thanks Paul, I'll give some local shops calls today and see what happens