Drum to Disc Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tony Lino

Reaction score
Hello guys,
I'm new here,
I have a 1998 1500, extended cab, short bed, 4x4. I just started using a push in camper (made for a short bed). I added air bags to the suspension. I sometimes need to tow a trailer while I have the camper loaded. It handles and rides fine, but I find the braking to be very poor when I do this. So I don’t. But I need to, soon.

A newer, larger (2500) truck is kind of out of my reach, price wise right now. I can’t find anything used that fits the bill for under $15K, unless I go with old and lots of miles. My truck is a known quantity, and has a lot of life left, but wouldn’t sell for much because of its age and miles, 175K.

A local "Truck Expert" (just ask him, he will tell you he is!) told me there are kits for disc brakes for the rear and better calipers and rotors for the front. He also suggested getting the front brakes and the rear axle from a heavier duty truck. Can this be done?

Is any of it even advisable?

Thanks in advance.

TrailBlazerZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is very do-able. There are many kits for the 8.5" rear axle, and the hydroboost brake system, as well as the front rotors and calipers from the 2500s are a direct swap. Another option is to put the larger 9.5" rear axle from a 2500 under the back. That will give you larger rear brakes too. As long as you match the trucks (4x4 to 4x4, etc..), it is a direct swap. You can also install the leaf springs from a 2500

Sent from my Vortec-powered Droid Turbo using Tapatalk

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Agreed. The 9.5 14bolt would be the way to go. I put one in my half ton. The breaks kick ass because they are so much larger. The rear is also strong than a 10bolt

TrailBlazerZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What you are really wanting to do is make your truck into what has been affectionately known as a "heavy half". It was basically a 1500 with 2500 suspension and brakes. They came from the factory like this, so you will have no problem making yours into one

Tony Lino

Reaction score
This is the way to go.
I found a lot of GT4 axles available for good prices. Disc and drum.
My 4x4 is electric. Does this limit the choices for the replacement parts?
Is there a modle year range for the axle I need to use?
The only question is if I need a locking or semi floating axle (or what?). How do I find this out?

Last edited:

TrailBlazerZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It does not limit your choices. Just make sure that it's off of a GMT400 ('88-'98). The 9.5" is a semi-float axle. What I think you are referring to is traction devices. Depending on what you are doing, replacing the stock G80 differential for a decent aftermarket limited slip unit is always a good idea. You can also get a locker if you do more off-road stuff. Keep in mind, however, that there is no aftermarket traction devices for the 8.25" IFS axle. It is not strong enough for it.

TrailBlazerZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want a direct swap, you will want to get an axle with drum brakes.
Also, you will need a conversion u-joint to hook your stock driveshaft to the 9.5s pinion yoke

Tony Lino

Reaction score
If you want a direct swap, you will want to get an axle with drum brakes.
Also, you will need a conversion u-joint to hook your stock driveshaft to the 9.5s pinion yoke

I really apprciate the info.
Is there anything available with disc brakes 6 lug that will bolt up?
Are the drums on that bigger that the 10 bolt rear (I assume that is a 14 bolt)?
I found one nearby with 110K miles on it. Good price.
What about the front brakes. Did the heavy half have better or bigger discs/calippers than the K1500?

Last edited:

TrailBlazerZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really apprciate the info.
Is there anything available with disc brakes 6 lug that will bolt up?
Are the drums on that bigger that the 10 bolt rear (I assume that is a 14 bolt)?
I found one nearby with 110K miles on it. Good price.
What about the front brakes. Did the heavy half have better or bigger discs/calippers than the K1500?

That is a direct swap? No. Disc brake parts are a lot harder to come by for the 9.5. The brake drums and shoes are bigger though. It is one of the 14-bolts. The "14 Bolt" that everyone thinks of is the 10.5" one found on heavy 2500s and 3500s. That axle is not a direct swap into the half ton. The big 14 bolt has an angular diff cover, the 9.5 one is more rounded. Also, the 9.5s generally came with 6 lugs. The 10.5s came with 8 lugs.
The heavy half had the larger calipers, pads, and rotors from the 2500.