DRL with led’s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottywiley

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If this has been asked already sorry. I searched but couldn’t find anything. Anyway, I’m wanting to install new headlight buckets along with plug and play LED’s. How will this affect my drl? If it affects it any? I would like to keep drl. I drove a company truck for 20 years and got used to em. And I think in a couple of instances they played a role in avoiding a crash.

thanks for help

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Worst case you run full power to them instead of what the factory gives them.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Worst case you run full power to them instead of what the factory gives them.

Agreeing with Supercharged. I think these trucks were still sending low-voltage to the daytime running lights via a resistor pack (newer stuff uses PWM). The LED's driver electronics may or may not like that depending on their minimum rated voltage. If it doesn't work, you may have to do some kind of relay setup.

Hopefully someone else can chime in, I haven't had DRL's in a looooong time.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Installing new housings and bulbs has no effect on the power going to that circuit unless you change the circuit itself. Any changes to the circuit downstream of the DRL module will not affect the DRL system, so whatever bulbs are hooked up to the low beam circuit will come on with the low beams or with the key in the on position. If you have additional lights you want to come on with the headlight switch but not DRL, splice them into the parking lights as I did with my LED halos.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

scottywiley

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installing new housings and bulbs has no effect on the power going to that circuit unless you change the circuit itself. Any changes to the circuit downstream of the DRL module will not affect the DRL system, so whatever bulbs are hooked up to the low beam circuit will come on with the low beams or with the key in the on position. If you have additional lights you want to come on with the headlight switch but not DRL, splice them into the parking lights as I did with my LED halos.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Thanks, that’s what I needed to know. I hoped that was the case. And thought it should be. But I didn’t want any surprises.
Thanks again

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I run LEDs w/ DRL active on my 97 and it hasn't been an issue.