Driveshaft yoke comparison between 4L60E and TH400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why did they have those long tailshaft version in the 70s anyways? They look goofy.
GM C-bodies. My Cadillac TH400 has the 13" tail, and the driveshaft is 6' long with double cardan joints at each end.

You must be registered for see images attach

Running the wrong slip yoke is not the proper fix. You've got a blown seal in the back of the transmission.
There is a special slip yoke for some TH400 driveshafts. Check to see if you have an o-ring on that output shaft.

Standard TH400 yoke for comparison:

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
60e yoke for comparison.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, not sure what's the deal with that little vent hole on some yokes. The one listed from Denny's didn't have the hole. It did say on the instructions to remove the o-ring from the output shaft so the splines would get lubrication, so that's what I did.

On the other hand, my 2-piece driveshaft had the hole on the center bearing carrier yoke. Those have the issue where the vehicle kinda clunks when you come to a stop and let go off the brake. The splines in that yoke bind, and causes that. Greasing the yoke thru the zerk fitting fixed it for a bit, but the last years the grease would just escape though the vent hole, so I didn't bother.

I went ahead and replaced my center bearing support and just welded that vent off. Seems like it's working.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Motherfv¢ker. I thought this yoke looked goofy.

My initial thought was the driveshaft was a too short piece sourced from the junkyard. Then I took it out and found it only stroked in another inch or so. Well then, I guess it was the correct length after all. So why such a long yoke?

I wish that pic wasn't straight on, I'd bet you there's an oring on that output shaft. The yoke felt like it didn't go on far enough before bottoming out, it probably didn't. But how in the Hell did my dad get his hands on the wrong yoke and then size the driveshaft for it perfectly? So frustrating.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oof. Been there, done that. At least I have a yoke for my 4L80 already. Denny's Driveshaft had the yoke I needed for "only" $80.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Oof. Been there, done that. At least I have a yoke for my 4L80 already. Denny's Driveshaft had the yoke I needed for "only" $80.

You have any idea how long of a yoke I'd need? It's a TH400 with the 4" tail. Sorry OP.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't remember them selling them in "lengths", but rather by application. I would give Denny's a call.