Driver door issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gojo83

Reaction score
Long story short was running errands all day on Thursday stopped at the junkyard to grab a couple things for the project and when I got out to the truck the drivers door wouldn't open at all. It worked just fine when I pulled up but not when leaving. I crawled through from the pass side and got it home. When I got it home and had a chance to look at it a bit closer I was able to get the door panel off with the door still shut. I tried moving the metal rod in the door but that didn't work either. I have looked through 16 pages of topics on here and found no help. Is there any idea on how to get it to release and open? I am kinda pissed at the moment that I have to give the truck attn. while the vehicle with better mpg is close to completion.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
There are two rods that control the open/closing of the door. One running from the inside door handle to the latch, and the other runs from latch to the exterior door handle. It sounds like either the rod going from the latch to exterior handle fell off, or the latch itself is worn. I had the same problem once and had to work the interior handle rod back and forth until it moved the latch enough to open the door. Then I could get at the latch to R2 it.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Or one of the rods that lock/unlock the latch are broken or worn as well.