Door lock issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truck

Reaction score
The driver side door only locks and unlocks manually from the inside. The passenger side only locks by using the key from the outside, exact opposite of the driver side. I just bought the truck and I need to get this fixed. Any ideas?

Thanks gentlemen!

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
what year?

did this happen all at once ?

truck

Reaction score
It's a 96, and I just bought the truck that had the issue already so I wouldn't know. I just found out the passenger side door lock button will lock/unlock the driver side door, but will not lock/unlock the passenger side. The driver side door lock button will not lock/unlock either door, but the button works (I hear and see the locks moving but won't lock/unlock) ...wtf

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have to hold mine down for a second for my drivers side to lock.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
On the drivers side it sounds like the linkage from the key lock to the locking mechanism in the door in disconnected, probably a broken clip. Electronically speaking the locks are controlled by the BCM, might wanna check connections on it and check for proper voltage at both switches. Try to find a wiring schematic for the switch to check. Could also just be more clips are broken and making the locks twitch as the bar moves around.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
I have some wiring schematics at home I can check later. Thinking about it, I'm not 100% on the BCM thing, but I can let you know if no one else beats me to it.

truck

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing this information. I will be taking apart the doors later today... I appreciate it!

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Open your door and pull back the boot covering the wiring.

It is common for the wires inside to fatigue over the years and break after 20-odd years of open/close cycles.

Mine was like that, several others here have had the same experience.