Distributor install problems.. please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I recently replaced my intake, exhaust and valve cover gaskets. I marked distributor to manifold, rotor position to distributor and #1 plug wire. Put it all back together and truck stayed once real ruff and will not stay now. I'm new to this but would appreciate some input from some of you on how to fix this problem. Losing hair lol

#93z71k1500

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It is easy to be off one tooth when stabing the distributor. Pull the number one spark plug and then put number piston on TDC, on the compression stroke, and the router should be pointing to number one plug wire on the cap. Before you pull the cap, just put a mark with a sharpie where number one is on the distributor housing, and when number one position is at TDC on the compression stroke, the roter will be pointing to your mark, if it is stabbed correctly. The thing is when stabbing the distributor, it rotates as it go's into place, so you have to allow for this, and the distributor should point to number one plug wire once it is set all the way down in place.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is easy to be off one tooth when stabing the distributor. Pull the number one spark plug and then put number piston on TDC, on the compression stroke, and the router should be pointing to number one plug wire on the cap. Before you pull the cap, just put a mark with a sharpie where number one is on the distributor housing, and when number one position is at TDC on the compression stroke, the roter will be pointing to your mark, if it is stabbed correctly. The thing is when stabbing the distributor, it rotates as it go's into place, so you have to allow for this, and the distributor should point to number one plug wire once it is set all the way down in place.
Ya,. What he said. But even after accounting for all that put a light on it, no way you'll stab it in just right.