Disappearing coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stompah

Reaction score
Yes. I plan on pressure testing since I cannot visually see the leak and do not want to spend a day off with the top end of the engine off.

I have been driving the truck a lot more gently and regularly checking the oil for water.

I might use this as justification for heads, cam and headers. We will see. Unfortunately with two young kids I do not have time to tear the top end off of the engine.

Stompah

Reaction score
Yes. I plan on pressure testing since I cannot visually see the leak and do not want to spend a day off with the top end of the engine off.

I have been driving the truck a lot more gently and regularly checking the oil for water.

I might use this as justification for heads, cam and headers. We will see. Unfortunately with two young kids I do not have time to tear the top end off of the engine.

radrfan59

Reaction score
hi I'm getting a 1998 k1500 from my brother engine runs really good but every week or two it looses about a quart of water with no evidence of a leak. is there a tester to test the water in the radiator to see if I have a leaking head gasket? when the engine running higher pressure then in the radiator then when you turn engine off the water leaks in head ? just don't know any help

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a test instrument to measure exhaust gases in the coolant. Can't remember what it's called though. You can also just look in the rad (when it's cool) to see if there is a thick gooey mix of oil and coolant.

Finally, the smell of the exhaust gas is a giveaway to coolant leaking into the combustion chambers. The smell is kinda sweet. And, I forgot to mention checking the oil pan for coolant.